The second-seeded Coastal Carolina University women's tennis team (17-6) fell in the 2005 Big South Women's Tennis Championships final to top-seeded Winthrop University 4-0 April 16 in Rock Hill, S.C.
Senior Marie Matrka (Wilmington, Ohio) and junior Virginie Dinh (Maisons Albert, France) won their doubles match 8-2 over Jenny Andrade and Ana Maria Simanca, but the Lady Chanticleers fell in the other two matches. Winthrop then won three singles matches to win its fourth consecutive Big South Tournament title.
Coastal finishes its season with a 17-6 record. The Lady Chants also had the conference Player, Coach, Scholar-Athlete and Freshman of the Year. Matrka finishes her career at Coastal with 91 singles wins and 92 doubles victories.
No. 1 Winthrop 4, No. 2 Coastal Carolina 0
1. Jenny Andrade (WU) vs. Marie Matrka (CCU) unfinished
2. Ana Paula Novaes (WU) vs. Virginie Dinh (CCU) unfinished
3. Danielle Moita (WU) def. Petra Jantti (CCU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Paula Takahashi (WU) def. Sofie Ahlberg (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Renata Caceres (WU) vs. Sarize Coetzee (CCU) unfinished
6. Ana Maria Simanca (WU) def. Nicole Lemmerer (CCU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Marie Matrka/Virginie Dinh (CCU) def. Jenny Andrade/Ana Maria Simanca (WU) 8-2
2. Ana Paula Novaes/Paula Takahashi (WU) def. Petra Jantti/Sofie Ahlberg (CCU) 8-4
3. Larisa Bekmetova/Danielle Moita (WU) def. Rosemary Younger/Sarize Coetzee (CCU) 8-3
Winthrop University 21-3
Coastal Carolina 17-6