The Coastal Carolina University women's tennis team (6-4, 1-0 Big South) opened the Big South portion of its schedule with a 7-0 sweep of Birmingham-Southern College (5-5, 1-1 Big South) March 5 in Birmingham, Ala.
Coastal won all nine matches today, including all six singles matches in straight sets. Senior Marie Matrka (Wilmington, Ohio) defeated Jennifer Williams at number-one singles 6-3, 7-5. Junior Petra Jantti (Haukiverkko Espo, FInland) went to a first set tiebreak, but won that and defeated Daisy Humphrey 7-6 (5), 6-4. Sophomore Sarize Coetzee (Bloemfontein, South Africa) won 6-1, 6-0 over Stephanie Boucher and sophomore Nicole Lemmerer (Bad Mitterndorf, Austria) won at number six singles over Laura Kirk 6-3, 6-1.
Matrka and senior Virginie Dinh (Maisons Albert, France) won 8-2 over Rachel Malina and Cammie Nix in first doubles. Jantti teammed with freshman Sofie Ahlberg (Stockholm, Sweden) to defeat Williams and Casey Ragsdale 8-4. Coetzee and junior Rosemary Younger (Atlanta, Ga.) defeated Humphrey and Kirk 8-6.
Coastal hosts Charlotte Tuesday, March 8, at 2 p.m.
Coastal Carolina 7, Birmingham-Southern 0
1. Marie Matrka (Coastal) def. Jennifer Williams, 6-3, 7-5
2. Virginie Dinh (Coastal) def. Rachel Malina, 6-2, 6-1
3. Petra Jantti (Coastal) def. Daisy Humphrey, 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Sofie Ahlberg (Coastal) def. Cammie Nix, 6-2, 6-3
5. Sarize Coetzee (Coastal) def. Stephanie Boucher, 6-1, 6-0
6. Nicole Lemmerer (Coastal) def. Laura Kirk, 6-3, 6-1
1. Matrka/Dinh (Coastal) def. Malina/Nix, 8-2
2. Jantti/Ahlberg (Coastal) def. Williams/Casey Ragsdale, 8-4
3. Coetzee/Rosemary Younger (Coastal) def. Humphrey/Kirk, 8-6