Coastal Bows Out of Tournament With Loss to No. 1 CSU
April 17, 2014
Boiling Springs, N.C. - Fifth-seeded Coastal Carolina was eliminated from the Big South Women’s Tennis Championship on Thursday afternoon with a 4-0 loss in the semifinals to the conference’s regular-season champions, top-seeded Charleston Southern. With the loss the Chanticleers close out the 2014 season with an 18-7 overall record.
“It’s unfortunate that the season is over,” said Chanticleer head coach Catherine Hewitt after the match. “We wanted to be playing tomorrow but congratulations to Charleston Southern. They have a lot of talent and that talent showed today. We came up a little bit short in doubles and I think that would have helped us going into singles but they got their four points. Good luck to them.”
The Buccaneers, who have yet to lose to a Big South opponent this season, grabbed an early 1-0 lead on the doubles courts.
The Buccaneers then clinched the doubles point on the first court with an 8-6 victory by Yvonne Hubler and Alexandra Walters.
CSU completed the sweep by winning the first three singles decisions.
Placha, the 2014 Big South Player of the Year, started off singles with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Libby Scott at No. 1. Nour followed up at No. 6, besting Babayan 6-1, 6-2, and Walters closed out the match at No. 3 where she recorded a straight-sets win against Romane Delay.
The singles matches on courts 2, 4, and 5 went unfinished. Honami Yazawa, the 2014 Big South Freshman of the Year, was the only Chanticleer that was leading (7-5, 3-4) when the match ended.
The Chanticleers were making their first semifinal appearance since 2012 when they defeated the Buccaneers 4-1 to advance to the Big South championship.
With the win, No. 1 Charleston Southern advances to Friday’s championship match where it will face the winner of Thursday’s second semifinal match between No. 2 Winthrop and No. 3 Liberty.
Charleston Southern 4, Coastal Carolina 0
1. Marketa Placha (CSU) def. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-2
2. Yvonne Hubler (CSU) vs. Yazawa, Honami (COASTAL) 5-7, 4-3, unfinished
3. Alexandra Walters (CSU) def. Delay, Romane (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-1
4. Nicolin Luecke (CSU) vs. Kowal, Kourtney (COASTAL) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
5. Mi'Kola Cooper (CSU) vs. Malatek, Amanda (COASTAL) 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
6. Alia Nour (CSU) def. Babayan, Marie (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-2
1. Yvonne Hubler/Alexandra Walters (CSU) def. SCOTT, Libby/YAZAWA, Honami (COASTAL) 8-6
2. MALATEK, Amanda/BABAYAN, Marie (COASTAL) def. Alia Nour/Mi'Kola Cooper (CSU) 8-4
3. Marketa Placha/Nicolin Luecke (CSU) def. DE WIT, Dominique/KOWAL, Kourtney (COASTAL) 8-3
Coastal Carolina 18-6, 5-4
Charleston Southern 16-3, 9-0