Coastal Advances to Semifinals with 4-1 Win Over Radford
Asheville, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina women's tennis team notched a 4-1 victory over No. 7 Radford in the quarterfinals of the Big South Championship on Thursday afternoon at the Asheville Racquet Club. With the win the No. 2 Chanticleers advance to Friday's semifinal round where they will face the winner of Thursday's final quarterfinal match between No. 3 Winthrop and No. 6 UNC Asheville.
Friday's semifinal appearance will be the 21st in the history of the women's tennis program, and third in head coach Catherine Hewitt's four years at the helm of the Chants.
The Chanticleers found themselves down by a point early in the match after Radford took doubles decisions on the first and third courts to open the scoring.
Coastal's No. 2 pairing of Sara Bondar and Marie Babayan struck first with an 8-1 victory, but the Highlanders' third duo of Meg Napolitano and Grace Sarver countered with an 8-4 win. Gemma Valls and Natalie Sayer sealed the point for Radford on the first court after topping Honami Yazawa and Libby Scott 8-2.
Bondar quickly evened the match as play shifted to singles, becoming the first Chanticleer to reach 15 singles wins this season with a commanding 6-0, 6-0 decision over Taylor Fay at No. 4.
Cari Berry put the Chants in front 2-1 on the sixth court with a 6-0, 6-4 victory against Napolitano, and Scott extended her streak of unbeaten Big South singles matches to 10 after topping Taylor Newman in straight sets on the first court to put the Chants within a point of advancing.
Yazawa earned the deciding point at No. 3 after handing a 6-2, 6-2 loss to Valls for her 13th singles win of the season.
Coastal collected wins against both Winthrop and Asheville in regular season play. The Chants blanked the host Bulldogs 7-0 back on March 21, and more recently bested a tough Winthrop team to the tune of 5-2 on April 4. Fans can follow live scoring for Friday's semifinal matches by visiting the TOURNAMENT CENTRAL page on Asheville's athletic website.
Coastal Carolina 4, Radford 1
1. Scott, Libby (CCU) def. NEWMAN, Taylor (RAD) 7-5, 6-0
2. Delay, Romane (CCU) vs. SAYER, Natalie (RAD) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
3. Yazawa, Honami (CCU) def. VALLS, Gemma (RAD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Bondar, Sara (CCU) def. FAY, Taylor (RAD) 6-0, 6-0
5. Babayan, Marie (CCU) vs. SARVER, Grace (RAD) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
6. Berry, Cari (CCU) def. NAPOLITANO, Meg (RAD) 6-0, 6-4
1. VALLS, Gemma/SAYER, Natalie (RAD) def. YAZAWA, Honami/SCOTT, Libby (CCU) 8-2
2. BONDAR, Sara/BABAYAN, Marie (CCU) def. NEWMAN, Taylor/FAY, Taylor (RAD) 8-1
3. NAPOLITANO, Meg/SARVER, Grace (RAD) def. DELAY, Romane/BERRY, Cari (CCU) 8-4
Coastal Carolina 15-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,1,3)
Official: Wayne Tesh T-2:36