April 3, 2014
Blacksburg, Va. - The Coastal Carolina women’s team tennis lost 6-1 to the 66th ranked Virginia Tech Hokies on Thursday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Freshman Marie Babayan picked up the lone point for the Chanticleers, who fall to 15-4 (3-2) with the loss.
Virginia Tech jumped out to a quick lead after taking the doubles point with wins on the second and third doubles courts.
Rebecca Harris and Kelly Wilford of Virginia Tech then clinched the doubles point at No. 3 with an 8-4 win over Babayan and Amanda Malatek.
Nandakumar grabbed the first singles point, putting Virginia Tech up 2-0 after defeating Malatek 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5.
Mita gave the Hokies a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Delay at No. 3, and Kahoun clinched the match-winning point at No. 6 by downing Coastal’s Mila Majtan, 6-0, 6-2.
Babayan put the Chants on the board at No. 4, downing Isel Martinez-Marcos in a third set tiebreaker. Babayan split the first two sets before making a push in the third to win 10-7.
Scott gave Virginia Tech’s #73 Ilinca Stoica a good battle on the first singles court, taking the nationally ranked player to a third set after splitting the first two. Stoica prevailed though, taking the final set 10-6.
Thursday’s match marked the last non-conference opponent for Coastal as the Chanticleers enter the home stretch of their schedule. The Chants begin the first half of their final four matches at home, where they host Presbyterian at 1 p.m. on Sunday, and Radford at noon on Monday.
#66 Virginia Tech 6, Coastal Carolina 1
1. #73 Ilinca Stoica (VT) def. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-7 (7-3), 1-0
2. Kelly Williford (VT) def. Yazawa, Honami (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-1
3. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Delay, Romane (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-1
4. Babayan, Marie (COASTAL) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-2, 1-6 (10-7), 1-0
5. Sansitha Nandakumar (VT) def. Malatek, Amanda (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-1
6. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. MAJTAN, Mila (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-2
1. SCOTT, Libby/YAZAWA, Honami (COASTAL) vs. Carol Kahoun/Raluca Mita (VT) no result
2. Francesca Fusinato/Sansitha Nandakumar (VT) def. DELAY, Romane/DE WIT, Dominique (COASTAL) 8-3
3. Rebecca Harris/Kelly Williford (VT) def. BABAYAN, Marie/MALATEK, Amanda (COASTAL) 8-4
Coastal Carolina 15-4 (3-2)
Virginia Tech 11-8 (3-6); National ranking #66
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,6,2,4,1)