Chants Tab Commanding Conference Win at Longwood
April 2, 2014
Farmville, Va. - The Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team defeated Big South rival Longwood by a 6-1 margin Wednesday afternoon at the Lancer Tennis Courts. With the win the Chanticleers improve to 15-3 overall, 3-2 in conference, while the Lancers fall to 3-8, 1-6.
The Chants came out strong, sweeping all three doubles matches for the 11th time this season.
Maries Babayan and Amanda Maltek followed up with an 8-3 victory at No. 3, defeating Mason Thomas and Bethany Law to clinch the match’s opening point.
Coastal’s dominance continued into singles, where five of the six available points were won by the Chants.
Babayan put Coastal ahead 2-0 with a convincing 6-1, 6-1 win over Thomas at No. 5.
Longwood’s Moomau managed the put the Lancers on the board and cut Coastal’s lead in half after defeating de Wit at No. 3, but the Chants stormed back to take the remaining four singles matches.
Yazawa dispatched Alatorre at No. 2, 6-1, 6-1, while Delay claimed a 6-0, 6-4 decision at No. 4 against Pelak.
Scott outlasted Allgurin in three sets at No. 1, 6-3, 3-6, 10-7, and Malatek closed out Coastal’s scoring at No. 6, downing Law 6-2, 6-2.
The Chants close out their four-match road stretch on Thursday when they travel to Blacksburg, Va., to take on the #58 Virginia Tech Hokies. Thursday’s match marks the first time that Coastal meets a nationally ranked opponent this season.
Coastal Carolina 6, Longwood 1
1. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) def. Malin Allgurin (LONG) 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
2. Yazawa, Honami (COASTAL) def. Paloma Alatorre (LONG) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sarah Moomau (LONG) def. De Wit, Dominique (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-1
4. Delay, Romane (COASTAL) def. Anna Pelak (LONG) 6-0, 6-4
5. Babayan, Marie (COASTAL) def. Mason Thomas (LONG) 6-1, 6-1
6. Malatek, Amanda (COASTAL) def. Bethany Law (LONG) 6-2, 6-2
1. SCOTT, Libby/YAZAWA, Honami (COASTAL) def. Malin Allgurin/Sarah Moomau (LONG) 8-3
2. DELAY, Romane/DE WIT, Dominique (COASTAL) def. Paloma Alatorre/Anna Pelak (LONG) 8-4
3. BABAYAN, Marie/MALATEK, Amanda (COASTAL) def. Mason Thomas/Bethany Law (LONG) 8-3
Coastal Carolina 15-3 (3-2)
Longwood 3-8 (1-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,2,4,1,6)