Women's Tennis Keeps Rolling at Radford
Radford, Va. - The Coastal Carolina women's tennis team, winner of its past 11 matches, remained perfect in Big South play on Sunday as the Chanticleers (12-4, 6-0) defeated the host Radford Highlanders (4-9, 1-5) by a 6-1 margin in conference action at the Radford University Tennis Complex.
Coastal started the match strong with a three-match sweep on the doubles courts to jump out to a 1-0 lead. The Chants' second and third doubles pairs led the way as Romane Delay and Natalie Wall topped Taylor Newman and Taylor Fay 8-3 before Marie Babayan and Libby Scott clinched the point at No. 3 with an 8-6 victory over Grace Sarver and Meg Napolitano.
Babayan started off singles with a 6-0, 6-0 blanking of Grace Sarver on the fifth court. Bondar followed with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Fay at No. 4, and Yazawa sealed the match for Coastal at No. 1 after defeating Sayer 6-4, 6-2.
Scott and Delay also tallied singles victories for the Chants on the second and third courts, respectively.
Napolitano was Radford's lone point-getter, defeating Cari Berry in three sets at No. 6, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Coastal brings its winning streak and unbeaten Big South record back to Conway as the Chanticleers host Winthrop for a 10 a.m. match on April 4.
Coastal Carolina 6, Radford 1
1. Yazawa, Honami (COASTALW) def. SAYER, Natalie (RAD) 6-4, 6-2
2. Scott, Libby (COASTALW) def. NEWMAN, Taylor (RAD) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-1)
3. Delay, Romane (COASTALW) def. VALLS, Gemma (RAD) 6-1, 7-5
4. Bondar, Sara (COASTALW) def. FAY, Taylor (RAD) 6-0, 6-4
5. Babayan, Marie (COASTALW) def. SARVER, Grace (RAD) 6-0, 6-0
6. NAPOLITANO, Meg (RAD) def. Berry, Cari (COASTALW) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. YAZAWA, Honami/BONDAR, Sara (COASTALW) def. SAYER, Natalie/VALLS, Gemma (RAD) 8-6
2. DELAY, Romane/WALL, Natalie (COASTALW) def. NEWMAN, Taylor/FAY, Taylor (RAD) 8-3
3. BABAYAN, Marie/SCOTT, Libby (COASTALW) def. SARVER, Grace/NAPOLITANO, Meg (RAD) 8-6
Coastal Carolina 12-4, 6-0 BSC
Radford 4-9, 1-5 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,1,6,3,2)