Women's Tennis Edged by Campbell
March 27, 2014
Buies Creek, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team lost a close 4-3 match to host Campbell on Thursday afternoon at the Nisbet Tennis Center. The Fighting Camels (12-5, 5-1) jumped out to an early lead, and despite a late surge by the Chanticleers (13-3, 1-2), Campbell hung on to take the win.
Campbell won a hard-fought doubles point after taking two of three doubles contests.
Coastal’s No. 1 pair of Kourtney Kowal and Honami Yazawa fell 8-3 to Karolina Chernaya and Claudia Ortiz. Libby Scott and Dominique De Wit evened the score at No. 2 with an 8-5 win over Natasha Afridi and Tamara Stanic.
Chernaya of Campbell put the Camels up 2-0 after winning the first singles match, besting Kowal 6-2, 7-5 at No. 1. Amelia Reichart furthered Campbell’s lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 5 over Babayan.
Malatek gave the Chants their first point of the match when she bested Telenga at No. 6 in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, but Ortiz clinched the match for Campbell with the next singles win at No. 4 over Delay.
Despite the match already decided in Campbell’s favor, the Chants continued to battle hard and took the final two singles points.
Yazawa won in three sets at No. 3, besting Stanic 4-6. 7-6, 6-4, and Scott downed Afridi at No. 2, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.
“We knew going in that this match would be a dogfight, especially on the road,” said Chanticleer coach Catherine Hewitt. “Campbell creates an in-your-face environment and it worked for most of the match. They had a lot of intensity and fire and we simply didn’t match it. We look forward to our next opportunity to better this.”
The Chanticleer softball team, who had just won a three-game series against Campbell in Buies Creek, made an appearance at the match to cheer on their Chants.
“I’d like to send our Coastal softball team a huge thank you,” said Hewitt. “We had an enormous surge at the end of the match when they showed up, and it was a special experience to be a part of that.”
The Chanticleers continue their conference schedule on Saturday when they travel to Gardner-Webb for a 1 p.m. match.
Campbell 4, Coastal Carolina 3
1. Karolina Chernaya (CAMW) def. Kowal, Kourtney (CCU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Scott, Libby (CCU) def. Natasha Afridi (CAMW) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. Yazawa, Honami (CCU) def. Tamara Stanic (CAMW) 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
4. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAMW) def. Delay, Romane (CCU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Amelie Reichart (CAMW) def. Babayan, Marie (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Malatek, Amanda (CCU) def. Ewa Telenga (CAMW) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
1. Karolina Chernaya/Claudia Ortiz (CAMW) def. KOWAL, Kourtney/YAZAWA, Honami (CCU) 8-3
2. DE WIT, Dominique/SCOTT, Libby (CCU) def. Natasha Afridi/Tamara Stanic (CAMW) 8-5
3. Ana Maria Ortiz/Ewa Telenga (CAMW) def. BABAYAN, Marie/MALATEK, Amanda (CCU) 8-7
Coastal Carolina 13-3, 1-2 Big South
Campbell 12-5, 5-1 Big South
Order: Singles (1,5,6,4,3,2) Doubles (1,2,3)