Coastal Falls to Troy, 4-2
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Coastal Carolina women's tennis team suffered its first Sun Belt Conference loss Sunday afternoon as the Chanticleers (13-4, 1-1) fell to Troy, 4-2, in a neutral-site match at Georgia Southern.
Troy captured the doubles point with wins on the first and third courts to take an early lead. Coastal responded by winning consecutive singles points on the third and fourth courts to overtake the lead. Troy then rallied, taking the first, fifth and sixth singles courts to come from behind and clinch the match.
Troy's top pairing of Sanae Ohta and Nancy Karake struck first in doubles, defeating Marie Babayan and Sara Bondar, 6-2. Efriliya Herlina and Jiayuan Xue followed with a 6-1 win at No. 3 to give the Trojans the opening point.
Bondar evened the match at No. 4 singles in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, over Herlina. Babayan followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory on the third court, allowing Coastal to take a 2-1 match lead.
The match was tied once again as Luisa Ferrauti topped Maria Khomchenko in straight sets on the sixth court. Troy took the lead for good after Ohta defeated Rylie Cox at No. 1, and Alicai Rodriguez provided the match-winning point with a three-set win over Romane Delay at No. 5.
Coastal returns home to host Emory for a 3 p.m. match on April 1 at the Stevens Tennis Complex.
Troy 4, Coastal Carolina 2
1. Sanae Ohta (TROY) def. Cox, Rylie (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-3
2. Wall, Natalie (COASTAL) vs. Hannah Seizer (TROY) 6-2, 6-7, unfinished
3. Babayan, Marie (COASTAL) def. Nancy Karaky (TROY) 6-3, 6-1
4. Bondar, Sara (COASTAL) def. Efriliya Herlina (TROY) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alicai Rodriguez (TROY) def. Delay, Romane (COASTAL) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Luisa Ferrauti (TROY) def. Khomchenko, Maria (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-4
1. Sanae Ohta/Nancy Karaky (TROY) def. Babayan, Marie/Bondar, Sara (COASTAL) 6-2
2. Cox, Rylie/Wall, Natalie (COASTAL) vs. Alicai Rodriguez/Hannah Seizer (TROY) 4-4, unfinished
3. Efriliya Herlina/Jiayuan Xue (TROY) def. Tiefel, Alexa/Khomchenko, Maria (COASTAL) 6-1
Coastal Carolina 13-4, 1-1 SBC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,3,6,1,5)