Coastal Wins Third Straight Conference Match
March 20, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team battled to a 5-2 victory over Campbell University on Wednesday afternoon, marking the third consecutive Big South Conference win for the Chanticleers in the month of March. The Chants, now 8-6 overall, boast a 4-1 Conference record as well as a respectable 6-2 record on their home court.
Coastal’s doubles pairs got off to a hot start, winning two of the three matches to take an early lead.
Dominique De Wit and Libby Scott cruised to an 8-0 win over Lourdes Ros and Lauren Vaughn at No. 3, marking the eleventh victory for the Coastal pair this season. Alicia Robinson and Miakaela Davies also chipped in for Coastal, taking down Ana Maria Ortiz and Natasha Afridi at No. 2, 8-6.
The Chants then went on to win four of the six singles matches to seal the match.
Alicia Robinson gave Coastal a 2-0 advantage after leading off singles with a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 5 over Kirsten Renz. Campbell then grabbed its first point when Ortiz, playing at No. 3, pulled away with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Bates.
Kowal responded for the Chants, taking the fourth position with a 6-2, 6-4 decision over Afridi. Campbell refused to go away however, as a No. 2 win from Chernaya cut Coastal’s lead to one.
Scott was able to close out the match for Chants at No. 1, winning a three-setter over Stanic. De Wit added one more point for the Chants, winning in three sets at No. 6.
“Today was a great conference win,” said head coach Catherine Hewitt. “Campbell always has a very dangerous team, but our team put the work in on the practice court and it paid off.”
The Chants will take a break from Conference play when they travel to East Carolina on Friday for a 1 p.m. match.
Campbell vs Coastal Carolina
Mar 20, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 5, Campbell 2
1. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) def. Tamara Stanic (CAM) 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. Davies, Mikaela (COASTAL) 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
3. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAM) def. Bates, Shelby (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-4
4. KOWAL, Kortney (COASTAL) def. Natasha Afridi (CAM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Robinson, Alicia (COASTAL) def. Kirsten Renz (CAM) 6-2, 6-0
6. De Wit, Dominique (COASTAL) def. Lourdes Ros (CAM) 7-6, 1-6, 6-3
1. Tamara Stanic/Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. BATES, Shelby/KOWAL, Kortney (COASTAL) 8-7
2. ROBINSON, Alicia/DAVIES, Mikaela (COASTAL) def. Ana Maria Ortiz/Natasha Afridi (CAM) 8-6
3. DE WIT, Dominique/SCOTT, Libby (COASTAL) def. Lourdes Ros/Lauren Vaughn (CAM) 8-0
Campbell 4-10 (2-2)
Coastal Carolina 8-6 (4-1)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,4,2,1,6)