Coastal Falls to Undefeated Cornell
March 18, 2013
CONWAY - After taking the doubles point early in the match, the Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team would not be able to hold the lead as unbeaten Cornell took a 5-2 win at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center on Monday afternoon. The Chanticleers move to 7-6 while the Big Red are just the second team in the country to remain undefeated at 9-0.
The Chants continued their impressive doubles play to start the match, grabbing wins at the first and second positions to take the early 1-0 lead.
Shelby Bates and Kourtney Kowal managed to grind out a close 9-8 (5) win at No. 1 over Christine Ordway and Ryann Young. Dominique De Wit and Libby Scott had a slightly easier time at No. 2, winning out over Lauren Frazier and Christy Kung 8-2.
Down a point to start the match, the Big Red responded in singles play with two straight wins as Kung won out over Ortiz at No. 6, and Young bypassed Davies at No. 2.
Libby Scott then evened the scales for the Chants at No. 1, handing a 6-1, 6-3 loss to Ordway to tie the match at 2-2.
The Chants would not hold back Cornell for long however, as Bates, Kowal and Robinson all fell in their respective matches, giving the Big Red the final three points.
“This match could have gone either way,” said head coach Catherine Hewitt. “The last two matches with Alicia (Robinson) and Shelby (Bates) were close third setters that didn’t go our way. The girls continued to have a lot of fight in them, but came up just a bit short today.”
Coastal returns to the court Wednesday to take on Big South foe Campbell at 2 p.m. The Chants are currently 3-1 in conference play, and have not dropped a home conference match this season.
Cornell vs Coastal Carolina
Cornell 5, Coastal Carolina 2
1. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) def. Christine Ordway (CORNELL) 6-1, 6-3
2. Ryann Young (CORNELL) def. Davies, Mikaela (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-0
3. Dena Tanenbaum (CORNELL) def. Bates, Shelby (COASTAL) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Laila Judech (CORNELL) def. KOWAL, Kortney (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lauren Frazier (CORNELL) def. Robinson, Alicia (COASTAL) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Christy Kung (CORNELL) def. Ortiz, Vanessa (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-1
1. BATES, Shelby/KOWAL, Kortney (COASTAL) def. Christine Ordway/Ryann Young (CORNELL) 9-8
2. DE WIT, Dominique/SCOTT, Libby (COASTAL) def. Lauren Frazier/Christy Kung (CORNELL) 8-2
3. Laila Judech/Dena Tanenbaum (CORNELL) def. DAVIES, Mikaela/ROBINSON, Alicia (COASTAL) 8-1
Coastal Carolina 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,1,4,3,5)