March 9, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team picked up its third Big South Conference win of the season after defeating the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs 5-2.
With the win, Coastal moves to 6-4 (3-1), while Gardner-Webb drops to 2-5 (0-1).
The Chants took a 1-0 lead in the match right out of the gate, taking two of the three doubles matches.
Erica White and Jenny Lunde started things off for Gardner-Webb, taking an 8-3 win over Coastal’s No. 1 pair of Kourtney Kowal and Shelby Bates. Dominique De Wit and Libby Scott evened the doubles tally after outlasting Yasmin Doost and Rockia Sacko in an 8-6 match at No. 2. Mikaela Davies and Vanessa Ortiz won the final match by forfeit at No. 3.
The Runnin Bulldogs took the first point in singles when Yasmin Doost bypassed Mikaela Davies at No. 2, 6-3, 6-3. The Chants then won the next three singles matches, earning the fourth point and ending the match.
Dominique De Wit claimed the final point for Coastal with a win by forfeit at No. 6.
The Chants will return to action Thursday as they participate in two neutral site matches at Hilton Head. The first match against Charleston (WV) will commence at 9 a.m., followed by a 5:30 p.m. match against Pittsburgh.
Gardner Webb vs Coastal Carolina
Mar 09, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 5, Gardner Webb 2
1. Erica White (GWU) def. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-4
2. Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. Davies, Mikaela (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-3
3. KOWAL, Kortney (COASTAL) def. Jenny Lunde (GWU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Bates, Shelby (COASTAL) def. Valeriia Popko (GWU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Robinson, Alicia (COASTAL) def. Rockia Sacko (GWU) 6-1, 7-5
6. De Wit, Dominique (COASTAL) def. No player (GWU), by forfeit
1. Erica White/Jenny Lunde (GWU) def. KOWAL, Kortney/BATES, Shelby (COASTAL) 8-3
2. DE WIT, Dominique/SCOTT, Libby (COASTAL) def. Yasmin Doost/Rockia Sacko (GWU) 8-6
3. DAVIES, Mikaela/ORTIZ, Vanessa (COASTAL) def. No player/No player (GWU), by forfeit
Gardner Webb 2-5
Coastal Carolina 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,5,1,6)