March 6, 2010
CONWAY, S.C. - The Coastal Carolina University women's tennis team won its seventh-straight home match with a 6-1 Big South Conference victory over visiting Liberty, March 6. With the win, the Chanticleers move to 8-1 on the year and 2-0 in the Big South, while the Lady Flames fall to 1-6 and 0-2 in the league.
Coastal got the doubles point by winning one match and taking advantage of the fact that Liberty had only five players available today. At No. 2, Coastal senior Paty Cortes and freshman Mary Hill took an 8-1 win over Carol Lobel and Fabiana Gouveia. LU took the victory at No. 1 singles, with Jordan Jenkins and Nadia Solomon-Burgess getting an 8-5 victory over junior Lexi Bolesky and sophomore Miki Bunea. Seniors Kim Webb and Maria Camberos got the forfeit win at No. 3, giving the Chants the point.
In singles, the Chanticleers won five of the six matches, including Cortes earning a three-set victory at No. 4 over Lobel, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 10-7. The other four played matches were all straight sets, with Hill picking up the forfeit at No. 6. Bunea defeated Solomon-Burgess at No. 2, 6-2, 6-0, while Webb won at No. 3 over Gouveia, 6-1, 6-1. Camberos had the other singles wins for the Chants, defeating Brittany Thomas, 6-2, 6-1. The only down note was LU's Jenkins taking a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Bolesky at No. 1.
"I was very proud of our team’s effort today," Head Coach Jody Davis said. "Now it is time to get ready for Radford tomorrow and hopefully we can continue to gain momentum as we go through these conference matches."
The Chants are back on the court tomorrow, hosting Radford at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Liberty vs Coastal Carolina
03-06-10 at Conway, S.C.
(Billy Nichols Tennis Center)
Coastal Carolina 6, Liberty 1
1. JENKINS, Jordan (LIBERTY) def. Bolesky, Lexi (COASTAL) 6-4, 7-5
2. Bunea, Miki (COASTAL) def. SOLOMON-BURGESS, N. (LIBERTY) 6-2, 6-0
3. Webb, Kim (COASTAL) def. GOUVEIA, Fabiana (LIBERTY) 6-1, 6-1
4. Cortes, Paty (COASTAL) def. LOBEL, Carol (LIBERTY) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 10-7
5. Camberos, Maria (COASTAL) def. THOMAS, Brittany (LIBERTY) 6-2, 6-1
6. Hill, Mary (COASTAL) def. No player (LIBERTY), by forfeit
1. JENKINS, Jordan/SOLOMON-BURGESS, N. (LIBERTY) def. BOLESKY, Lexi/BUNEA, Miki (COASTAL) 8-5
2. CORTES, Paty/HILL, Mary (COASTAL) def. LOBEL, Carol/GOUVEIA, Fabiana (LIBERTY) 8-1
3. WEBB, Kim/CAMBEROS, Maria (COASTAL) def. No player/No player (LIBERTY), by forfeit
Liberty 1-6, 0-2 Big South
Coastal Carolina 8-1, 2-0 Big South