Coastal Falls at Liberty 6-1
March 2, 2013
Lynchburg, Va. - Coastal Carolina women’s tennis dropped a 6-1 decision at Liberty on Saturday in the Chants’ second Big South Conference match of the weekend.
Coastal’s record now sits at even, 4-4 overall, 1-1 in the conference. Liberty improved to 3-5.
The Flames took two of the three doubles matches to claim the first point of the match.
Coastal’s No. 2 pair of Vanessa Ortiz and Mikaela Davies lost a tough 8-5 match to Brittany Yang and Jessie Boda of the Flames. Dominique De Wit and Libby Scott provided an 8-6 win at No. 3 for the Chants, but the win was too late as Rebekah Jenkins and Nicola Wellman had already downed Shelby Bates and Kourtney Kowal at No. 1 to seal the doubles point for the Flames.
Liberty continued to build its lead in the first singles match as Brittany Yang defeated Kourtney Kowal at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1. Coastal then cut the lead in half after freshman Libby Scott took a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Cameron Richard. Liberty, however, would not allow the Chants to earn any more points, as Rebekah Jenkins, Alexandra Sheeran, Nicola Whellman and Valerie Thong won the remaining singles matches, closing out the 6-1 win for the Flames.
“Today was a difficult loss coming off yesterday’s first conference win,” said head coach Catherine Hewitt. “The girls competed, fought hard and were well prepared, but came up short today. Moving forward with our season we look to be more motivated for our big matches.”
Coastal returns home Monday for a conference match against Longwood. The match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
Coastal Carolina vs Liberty
3/2/13 at Lynchburg, Va.
Liberty 6, Coastal Carolina 1
1. Scott, Libby (CCU-W) def. RICHARD, Cameron (LIBERTYW) 6-1, 6-1
2. JENKINS, Rebekah (LIBERTYW) def. Bates, Shelby (CCU-W) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. SHEERAN, Alexandra (LIBERTYW) def. Davies, Mikaela (CCU-W) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
4. YANG, Brittany (LIBERTYW) def. Kowal, Kourtney (CCU-W) 6-0, 6-1
5. WELLMAN, Nicola (LIBERTYW) def. Robinson, Alicia (CCU-W) 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
6. THONG, Valerie (LIBERTYW) def. De Wit, Dominique (CCU-W) 6-2, 6-3
1. JENKINS, Rebekah/WELLMAN, Nicola (LIBERTYW) def. BATES, Shelby/KOWAL, Kourtney (CCU-W) 8-5
2. YANG, Brittany/BODA, Jessie (LIBERTYW) def. ORTIZ, Vanessa/DAVIES, Mikaela (CCU-W) 8-5
3. DE WIT, Dominique/SCOTT, Libby (CCU-W) def. THONG, Valerie/RICHARD, Cameron (LIBERTYW) 8-6
Coastal Carolina 4-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)