Feb. 28, 2010
CONWAY, S.C. - The Coastal Carolina University women’s tennis team opened Big South Conference play with a 7-0 sweep over visiting UNC Asheville, Feb. 28. With the victory, the Chanticleers moved to 7-1 and 1-0 in the league, while the Bulldogs fell to 2-3 and 0-2 in the conference.
The Chants swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Junior Lexi Bolesky and sophomore Miki Bunea teamed at No. 1 for a thrilling 8-7 (7-5) victory over Leslie Smith and Stephanie Schon. Freshman Mary Hill and senior Paty Cortes took the match at No. 2 over Louise Bottomley and Devon Cavanaugh, 8-3, while the No. 3 duo of seniors Kim Webb and Maria Camberos took an 8-4 victory over Nicole Schon and Britney Cloer.
In singles, Coastal won all six matches in straight sets, with the closest a 7-6 (7-1), 6-3 victory by Bolesky at No. 1 over Smith. Bunea defeated Stephanie Schon at No. 2, 6-2, 6-2, while at No. 3, Webb handled Cloer, 6-1, 6-4. Cortes took Brinkley at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1, with Camberos picking up the win at No. 5 over Nicole Schon, 6-2, 6-1. Hill wrapped up the match with her 6-1, 6-1 victory over Tania Mateva at No. 6.
“It’s great to start the conference off performing well,” Head Coach Jody Davis said. “UNC Asheville fought hard, but we were able to push through on the important points. We look forward to continuing conference play next weekend.”
The Chants continue a four-match homestand, hosting conference-rival Liberty Sat., March 6 at 9 a.m.
Coastal Carolina 7, UNC Asheville 0
1. Bolesky, Lexi (COASTAL) def. SMITH, Leslie (UNCA) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
2. Bunea, Miki (COASTAL) def. SCHON, Stephanie (UNCA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Webb, Kim (COASTAL) def. CLOER, Britney (UNCA) 6-1, 6-4
4. Cortes, Paty (COASTAL) def. BRINKLEY, Sarah (UNCA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Camberos, Maria (COASTAL) def. SCHON, Nicole (UNCA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Hill, Mary (COASTAL) def. MATEVA, Tania (UNCA) 6-1, 6-1
1. BOLESKY, Lexi/BUNEA, Miki (COASTAL) def. SMITH, Leslie/SCHON, Stephanie (UNCA) 8-7 (7-5)
2. HILL, Mary/CORTES, Paty (COASTAL) def. BOTTOMLEY, Louise/CAVANAUGH, Devon (UNCA) 8-3
3. WEBB, Kim/CAMBEROS, Maria (COASTAL) def. SCHON, Nicole/CLOER, Britney (UNCA) 8-4