Feb. 20, 2014
Wilmington, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina women’s team lost its first match of the season on Thursday afternoon, suffering a 7-0 loss at the hands of the UNC Wilmington Seahawks at the UNCW Tennis Courts. The loss snaps the Chanticleers’ winning streak at seven.
The Chants (7-1) surrendered the doubles point for the first time this season, dropping all three decisions to the Seahawks (4-2).
Kourtney Kowal and Honami Yazawa, playing at No. 2 for the first time this season, fell 8-3 while Romane Delay and Libby Scott lost an 8-2 match at No. 1. Marie Babayan and Amanda Malatek put up a strong fight at No. 3 but fell just short, 8-7.
The Seahawks proceeded to take all six singles points, winning all but two matches in straight sets. The losses by Yazawa, Delay, Babayan and Malatek marked the first time this season that each player had lost a singles point.
Christine Kharkevich (No. 5), Alyssa Ritchie (No. 3) and Angie Sekely (No. 1) won the first three singles matches for the Seahawks to take a 4-0 lead and clinch the match. However, freshmen Yazawa and Delay continued to fight hard for the Chants, taking their respective matches to three sets.
Yazawa, playing at No. 2, split her first two sets before coming up short in the third, 7-6 (8-6).
Delay won the first set 6-1 before dropping a close 7-6 (6-5) second and 6-1 third.
“Going into Wilmington we knew we would be tested by their competitiveness and strong will to fight,” said head coach Catherine Hewitt. “Our girls fell short today, but are motivated to learn and move forward after the loss. The actual loss was much closer than it may appear. We are looking forward to getting back on our home court against Appalachian State on Saturday.”
Saturday’s match versus Appalachian State will begin at 2 p.m. at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
UNCW 7, Coastal Carolina 0
1. Angie Sekely (UNCW) def. Scott, Libby (CCU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Olga Blank (UNCW) def. Yazawa, Honami (CCU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) def. Kowal, Kourtney (CCU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Kelly Cameron (UNCW) def. Delay, Romane (CCU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
5. Christine Kharkevich (UNCW) def. Babayan, Marie (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Hollie Champion (UNCW) def. Malatek, Amanda (CCU) 7-6 (4), 7-5
1. Olga Blank/Christine Kharkevich (UNCW) def. DELAY, Romane/SCOTT, Libby (CCU) 8-2
2. Alyssa Ritchie/Angie Sekely (UNCW) def. KOWAL, Kourtney/YAZAWA, Honami (CCU) 8-3
3. Miller Hales/Kelly Cameron (UNCW) def. BABAYAN, Marie/MALATEK, Amanda (CCU) 8-7
Coastal Carolina 7-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,1,2,6,4)