Feb. 14, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women's tennis team suffered a 7-0 sweep to UNC Wilmington in the first of three matches that the team plays in four days.
UNC Wilmington (2-1) prevented Coastal (1-2) from winning a single point today as the Seahawks took two doubles and six singles matches.
In doubles competition, Angie Sekely and Olga Blank downed Coastal's No. 1 pair of Mikaela Davies and Kourtney Kowal 8-2; UNCW's Kelly Cameron and Miller Hales took an 8-0 victory at No. 2 over Shelby Bates and Alicia Robinson; and Dominique De Wit and Libby Scott of the Chants rounded out the doubles matches at No. 3 with an 8-4 victory over Christine Kharkevich and Alyssa Ritchie.
As the match moved to singles, the Chants showed some fight as Libby Scott at No. 1 and Alicia Robinson at No. 3 took their matches to third sets against Angie Sekely and Christina Riley, respectively. Sekely and Riley would go on to take those two points for UNCW, and the Seahawks would claim the four remaining singles points as well.
"Wilmington has a talented and feisty team," said Coastal head coach Catherine Hewitt after the match. "We had our chances in many of the matches, especially the two third-set breakers. We've got plenty of work to do in practice, and this team is motivated to get back out there and improve."
The Chants will return to action Sunday, Feb. 17 as they host back-to-back matches against Coker and North Carolina A&T. The first match begins at 10 a.m. followed by the second at 2:30 p.m.
UNCW vs. Coastal Carolina
Feb. 14, 2013
UNCW 7, Coastal Carolina 0
1. Sekely (UNCW) def. Scott (CCU) 6-2, 6-7 (0-4), 10-5
2. Ritchie (UNCW) def. Bates (CCU) 6-5, 6-0
3. Riley (UNCW) def. Robinson (CCU) 6-2, 6-7(0-4), 10-7
4. Blank (UNCW) def. Kowal (CCU) 6-4. 6-1
5. Cameron (UNCW) def. Davies (CCU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kharkevich (UNCW) def. De Wit (CCU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sekely/Blank (UNCW) def. Davies/Kowal (CCU) 8-2
2. Cameron/Hales (UNCW) def. Bates/Robinson (CCU) 8-0
3. De Wit/Scott (CCU) def. Kharkevich/Ritchie (UNCW) 8-4