Feb. 7, 2014
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women’s tennis team won their third consecutive match on Friday morning, defeating the visiting Western Carolina Catamounts 5-1 at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. The victory marked the Chanticleers’ first 3-0 start to a season since they won their first six matches in 2012.
The loss for the Catamounts puts them at 0-2 on the season.
Due to wet conditions on the court and Western Carolina having to travel to UNC Wilmington for its second match of the day, the doubles point was bypassed and play began with singles.
Coastal won four of its six singles matches in straight sets.
Kourtney Kowal, playing at No. 2, downed Shannon Bettiol 6-2, 6-5.
Freshman Romane Delay turned in a strong performance at No. 5, defeating Erin Maguire 6-3, 6-2.
Senior Amanda Malatek won by forfeit at No. 6 for Coastal’s final point.
Stacia Kissell recorded the Catamount’s lone point, taking a tough 6-3, 1-6, 10-6, match over Libby Scott at No. 1.
The Chants return to action on Sunday when they travel to Cary, N.C., for their second doubleheader of the season. At 10 a.m. Coastal will square off against North Carolina Central, followed by a 2 p.m. tilt against North Carolina A&T.
Coastal Carolina 5, Western Carolina 1
1. Stacia Kissell (WCU) def. Scott, Libby (COASTAL) 6-3, 1-6, 10-6
2. Kowal, Kourtney (COASTAL) def. Shannon Bettiol (WCU) 6-2, 6-5
3. Yazawa, Honami (COASTAL) def. Sara Ruiz Pajares (WCU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Babayan, Marie (COASTAL) def. Megan McLinden (WCU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Delay, Romane (COASTAL) def. Erin Maguire (WCU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Malatek, Amanda (COASTAL) def. No player (WCU), by forfeit
Western Carolina 0-2
Coastal Carolina 3-0