Women's Soccer Eliminated in Penalty Kicks

Coastal Carolina closes the season with a 10-8-2 mark


Megan Spencer finished her final collegiate game with three saves and her seventh solo shutout of the season.

Nov. 2, 2013

Final Stats

ROCK HILL - The Coastal Carolina women's soccer team's season came to a heartbreaking ending Saturday afternoon as the fifth-seeded Chanticleers were ousted from the 2013 Big South Championship by a 4-3 decision in penalty kicks to No. 4 seed Winthrop. The teams played to a scoreless draw after regulation and two overtime periods.

Both teams converted each of their first three penalty kicks in the five-round shootout before Winthrop goalkeeper Amelia Henderson made two saves around one stop by Coastal keeper Megan Spencer.

The Chanticleers finished the season 10-8-2, while Winthrop (11-5-2) advanced to face No. 1 seed Radford in the semifinals on Friday, Nov. 8. It was the first Coastal game to reach the penalty kick stage since 2007 and the fifth in program history.

Winthrop was the first to attempt kicks and took leads of 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2, but Darbie Kelley, Fia Jonsson and Kacey Kelley each answered by knocking in their shots to even it up.

Taylor Walton made the fourth attempt for the Eagles before Henderson made a diving stop on Brianna Panico's attempt toward the left side of the net. Winthrop's Krystyna Freda, among the leading scorers in the nation, had a chance to end it for the Eagles, but Spencer kept the Chants alive with a diving save to her right.

That gave Sam Patterson a chance to send it to sudden-victory and her high shot was headed for the right corner, but Henderson extended fully on another dive and was able to get a hand on it and block it away.

Coastal finished the game with 26 shots and 12 shots on goal, while Winthrop totaled 22 attempts, but just three on net. Henderson finished with 12 saves, while Spencer had three.

Winthrop controlled much of the possession early in the game, but without any good scoring chances. The Chants then started to take control midway through the half and carried the play most of the second half. Kacey Kelley put a shot on net in the 58th minute off a long through ball and then had a header in the 62nd, both stopped by Henderson. The Chants then pushed even harder in the final minutes of regulation, getting four shots in the last five minutes, but Henderson stopped two more and a shot in the 90th minute by Amber Adams went high.

In the first overtime, neither team was able to generate quality opportunities until the 10th final minute, when Freda was fouled and had a 35-yard free kick that sailed over the goal. Freda had two more shots miss the goal early in the second overtime, before Coastal had a flurry of chances late in the period. The Chants generated three corner kicks in the final three and half minutes and got off several shots after balls bounced around in the box. However, three attempts were blocked and Henderson made two more saves.

Winthrop then countered quickly in the final minute and Freda drew another foul with 24 seconds left. This time, her free kick from just above the 18-yard box was blocked away by the Chants' wall.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago