Coastal Opens Big South Championship Saturday vs. Liberty
The Coastal Carolina University lacrosse team will host the Liberty Flames Saturday in the first round of the Big South Championship. Opening draw at Brooks Stadium is slated for 1 p.m.
As an official Big South Conference postseason event, there will be a $5 admission charge for spectators, $4 for faculty/staff and $3 for youth. Coastal Carolina students will be admitted free of charge with a valid CCU photo ID.
All tickets will be sold out of Brooks Stadium's south ticket booth beginning at 12 p.m. on Saturday. Gates will also open at 12 p.m.
Coastal vs. Liberty | Saturday, April 30 | 1 p.m.
Series: Liberty leads 3-2
Stadium: Brooks Stadium
Bracket: Big South Women's Lacrosse Championship
Video: Big South Network
Live Stats: BigSouthSports.com
Twitter Updates: @GoCCUSports, @CoastalWLax
Last Time Out
- Sara Nolan scored on a free-position shot 39 seconds into overtime to lift Coastal to an 11-10 victory over Liberty on April 2 at Brooks Stadium.
- Coastal used a balanced offense to earn the victory, as Charlotte O’Leary scored four goals, Sara Nolan notched a hat trick, Haley Alexander netted two goals and Maggie Carr and Sophie Crowther added a goal apiece.
- Coastal’s defense combined with junior goalkeeper Jenna Stover to allow just 10 goals on 19 shots.
- Liberty and Coastal took 19 shots apiece, but the difference-maker was the Chants’ edge in ground balls, 17-9.
Coastal vs. Liberty
- Saturday marks the 6th all-time meeting between the Chants and Flames, including second of the 2016 season.
- Coastal (10-6) went 5-3 in Big South play during the regular season to earn fourth place in the conference. Liberty went 5-12 overall, including 4-4 in conference action.
- The two squads met in the Big South Lacrosse Championship semifinals on May 1, 2015, where the Lady Flames defeated Coastal Carolina by the final score of 14-8 in Rock Hill, S.C.
- The Lady Flames defeated Coastal Carolina twice in 2015, but the Chants edged the Flames, 11-10, in their lone meeting of the 2016 season.
Nolan Keeps Rollin’
- Senior attack Sara Nolan hit a milestone scoring mark, tallying the 100th goal of her career in Coastal’s 20-8 win over Radford on April 23.
- Nolan is Coastal’s all-time leading scorer, as she has tallied 105 goals and 25 assists in her four years with the Chants.
- This season, Nolan leads the Chants in goals (40), points (50), shots (81) and draw controls (39).
- The winner of the No. 4 Coastal/No. 5 Liberty game will advance to face the winner of No. 1 Winthrop vs. No. 8 Presbyterian College, on Thursday, May 5 at 4 p.m. at Winthrop.
The quarterfinals and semifinals will be broadcast live on the Big South Network, while next Saturday's championship contest will be carried live on ESPN3 at 12 p.m. The Big South Conference champion receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championship.
Saturday, April 30 – Quarterfinals – at Top 4 seeds
Game 1: No. 1 Winthrop vs. No. 8 Presbyterian College, 7:00pm
Game 2: No. 4 Coastal Carolina vs. No. 5 Liberty, 1:00pm
Game 3: No. 2 High Point vs. No. 7 Gardner-Webb, 3:00pm
Game 4: No. 3 Campbell vs. No. 6 Longwood, 12:00pm
Thursday, May 5 – Semifinals – at Winthrop
Game 5: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2, 4:00pm ET
Game 6: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 7:00pm ET
Saturday, May 7 – Championship – at Winthrop
Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, 12:00pm ET (TV: ESPN3)