Women's Golf Heading to Oklahoma for NCAA Central Regional
April 29, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women's golf team earned its fourth NCAA Regional bid in the past five years on Monday, as the Chanticleers were selected to the NCAA Central Regional. The Central Regional, hosted by Oklahoma, will be played May 9-11 at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Course in Norman, Okla.
"I am really proud of the ladies and the way they have played this season," Coastal Carolina head coach Katie Quinney said. "Getting back to the NCAA Regionals after missing it as a team last season has been a goal of ours and now we need to put all our efforts towards returning to the National Championship."
This marks the fifth NCAA Regional appearance for the Chanticleers, who also earned a bid in 2005 prior to a string of three straight from 2009-11. It was be the first time Coastal has competed at the NCAA Central Regional.
"We are excited to be going to a course that we have played on each of the past two fall seasons," Quinney said. "We have had numerous good rounds on that course, and it is a course that our team can continue to have success playing."
The NCAA Central Regional field will feature some of the toughest competition of all the three sites, which includes top-seeded Duke and host institution, Oklahoma.
"This is a deep field, making this regional site very difficult, but we have competed well against the majority of the teams," Quinney added. "We are the 13th seed, but I believe our ability and potential at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Course gives us a great chance for enough upsets to advance."
A total of 24 teams (eight from each regional) and six individuals (two from each regional) will advance to the finals. The championship finals will be held May 21-24 at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga., and will be hosted Bulldogs.
"I believe that if we stay focused and relaxed, our best games will come through," Quinney said. "This team has shown more than enough capabilities on very difficult golf courses with tough fields to know they have the talent to finish in the top eight.
2013 NCAA Central Regional Teams:
1. Duke University (Atlantic Coast Conference)
2. University of Oklahoma
3. University of Florida
4. University of Washington
5. Arizona State University
6. University of California, Davis (Big West Conference)
7. Texas Tech University
8. North Carolina State University
9. Michigan State University
10. Iowa State University
11. Southern Methodist University
12. Campbell University
13. Coastal Carolina University (Big South Conference)
14. Wake Forest University
15. Texas Christian University
16. Gonzaga University
17. Indiana University
18. University of Texas San Antonio
19. Mississippi State University
20. University of Wisconsin
21. Lamar University (Southland Conference)
22. Illinois State University (Missouri Valley Conference)
23. University of Detroit Mercy (Horizon League)
24. Butler University (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)
2013 NCAA Central Regional Individuals:
1. Fanny Cnops, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
2. Lori Beth Adams, University of North Carolina, Wilmington
3. Emma Henrikson, San Diego State University
4. Julia Roth, University of Central Arkansas
5. Paige Spiranic, San Diego State University
6. Christine Wong, San Diego State University