Chanticleers Open Big South Play on Thursday
Dec. 4, 2013
CONWAY - The 4-3 Coastal Carolina women’s basketball team opens its 2013-14 Big South Conference schedule on Thursday hosting Gardner-Webb. The game is slated for a 5 p.m. tipoff and will be followed by the men’s team taking on North Carolina Wesleyan.
Date / Time: Thurs., Dec. 5, 2013 / 5 p.m.
Site: Conway, S.C. / The HTC Center (3,212)
Audio Broadcast: Chanticleer Sports Network
Online Audio Link: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/coastal.portal#
Talent: Aaron Marks (pxp)
Live Stats: GoCCUSports.com
Live Video: GoCCUSports.com
Twitter Updates: @GoCCUSports and @Chants365
Last Time Out
• Coastal Carolina fell to Drake 90-74 in the consolation game at the Seattle-hosted Delta Dental Thanksgiving Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 30.
• Three Chanticleers scored in double-figures led by AJ Jordan’s 19. Angelica Henry scored 15 and Alexx Puckett finished with 14.
• Katelyn Connor and Henry co-led the Chants with seven rebounds each.
• Coastal shot 42.5 percent from the floor, including an even 50 percent in the second half.
• Drake made 14 3-pointers to upend the Chanticleers and shot 50.7 percent overall.
Coastal Carolina vs. Gardner-Webb
• Coastal Carolina and Gardner-Webb have met 12 times in the all-time series with Gardner-Webb holding a 7-5 advantage.
• Coastal defeated the Runnin’ Bulldogs in both regular season meetings last year; however, Gardner-Webb ended the Chants’ season in the opening round of the 2013 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Basketball Championships.
• The Chanticleers are 3-3 all-time at home against Gardner-Webb.
• Coastal Carolina does not play again until Dec. 15 due to the fall examination period. Coastal returns to the hardwood of The HTC Center on Sunday, Dec. 15 hosting Southern Conference member Furman at 2 p.m.
Coastal Carolina in Big South Openers
• Coastal Carolina holds a 13-14 record in Big South Conference openers since joining the league for the 1986-87 season. The Chanticleers are 6-4 all time when opening league play in Conway.
• The Chants won last season’s Big South lid-lifter with a 65-62 triumph over Gardner-Webb in Boiling Springs, N.C. Katelyn Connor paced CCU with her first career double-double as she posted then-career-highs with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
It Takes a Team
• The 2013-14 edition of the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers is a relatively balanced attack. Head coach Jaida Williams has used all 10 available players so far this season and nine of the 10 are averaging 10.0 minutes or more of action.
• Williams has also used five different lineups in the Chanticleers’ first seven games with the lone constants being senior point guard Angelica Henry and junior shooting guard AJ Jordan.
• Of Coastal’s seven games this season, four have been away from the friendly confines of The HTC Center.
• Coastal Carolina is fresh off of its longest road trip of the 2013-14 season, and second longest in program history. The Chanticleers traveled west to Seattle, Wash., to compete in the Seattle University-hosted Delta Dental Thanksgiving Tournament where they played Seattle U and Drake. The Chants left campus on Wednesday, Nov. 27 and returned Sunday, Dec. 1.
• The longest road trip in program history occurred during the 2009-10 season when th Chanticleers participated in the Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska.
• The 2013-14 Chanticleers are off to a fast start from beyond the arc this season. Coastal is averaging 5.0 triples per game this season after averaging a meager 2.9 per outing last season. The Chants have made 34.0 percent of their 3-point attempts this season compared to only 24.4 percent a year ago.
• Angelica Henry leads both Coastal Carolina and the Big South in 3-point percentage with an impressive 47.6 clip. Kayla Cook ranks second on the team and eighth in the league with a 40.0 percentage.