Women's Hoops Heads West for Thanksgiving Tournament
Nov. 29, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina women’s basketball team travels west for a two-game Thanksgiving tournament at Seattle University on Friday and Saturday. The Chanticleers face host Seattle Friday at 7 p.m. (PT) then plays either Drake or Cornell on Saturday at either 4 or 6 p.m. (PT).
Date / Time: Fri., Nov. 29, 2013 / 7 p.m. (PT) | Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 / TBD
Site: Seattle, Wash. / Connolly Center
Audio Broadcast: Chanticleer Sports Network
Radio: WHSC FOX Sports Radio 1050 AM and 101.9 FM
Online Audio Link: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/coastal.portal#
Talent: Tim Bickford (pxp)
Live Stats: GoSeattleU.com
Live Video: GoSeattleU.com
Twitter Updates: @GoCCUSports
Last Time Out
• Coastal Carolina defeated Montreat College 99-71 on Monday evening at The HTC Center.
• Five Chanticleers scored in double-figures led by career-highs by Kayla Cook (22) and Alexx Puckett (20).
• Savanah Pippin led all rebounders with 10. It was her first 10-plus rebounding effort of the season.
• Puckett missed a double-double by a single rebound. It was the second time this season she has missed a double-double by one rebound.
• Coastal shot 51.4 percent from the floor as a team.
• Coastal Carolina returns home to The HTC Center for its Big South Conference opener against Gardner-Webb on Thursday, Dec. 5. The Runnin’ Bulldogs ended Coastal’s 2012-13 campaign in the first round of the 2013 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Basketball Championships.
Coastal vs the Delta Dental Thanksgiving Tournament Field
• Coastal Carolina has not played Seattle, Cornell nor Drake in its previous 39 seasons of women’s basketball.
• Moreover, the Chanticleers have never played an opponent from the Missouri Valley Conference , Western Athletic Conference or Ivy League.
The West ... Unfamiliar Territory
• Friday will mark Coastal’s first game outside the Eastern Time Zone since playing in the University of Evansville-hosted Purple Aces Classic on Dec. 3-4 in 2010.
• Coastal last played in west of the Rocky Mountains at the 2009 edition of the Great Alaskan Shootout. It was the only time in program history that the Chants have played west of the Rockies.
• The Chanticleers have received valuable minutes from true freshman Olivia Carlton and Karsen Sims along with redshirt freshman Megan Pittman.
• Carlton has started every game this season at the 2/3 guard and is averaging 3.4 points and 2.2 boards per contest. Sims has been a key contributor at guard off the bench, averaging 3.8 points and 2.4 board per outing. Pittman has notched three starts at forward and is the Chants’ fifth-leading scorer at 7.4 per game. In addition, Pittman ranks second on the team with an average of 6.0 boards.
Winning the Battle on the Boards
• The Chanticleers have won the rebounding battle in four of its five games. Coastal is averaging 49.0 boards per game this season, while only allowing its opponents to collect 39.6 per outing.
• CCU’s +9.4 rebounding margin ranks third in the Big South.