Chanticleers Take On High Point in Big South Quarterfinal
March 8, 2012
Coastal Carolina (13-14, 6-12 Big South) vs. High Point (18-11, 13-5 Big South)
Friday, March 9, 2012 | 5:30 p.m. | Big South Tournament Quarterfinal | High Point, N.C. | Millis Center (1,750)
CONWAY - Seventh-seeded Coastal Carolina takes on second-seeded and tournament host High Point in the opening round of the Big South Tournament by High Point. Tip off is slated for 5:30 p.m. at the Panthers' Millis Center.
Broadcast: The Coastal Carolina - High Point quarterfinal game will be broadcast live online at GoCCUSports.com with the Voice of the Chanticleers Matt Hogue on the call.
Live Stats: Available via HighPointPanthers.com
Video Stream: Available via BigSouthSports.com
Series: Coastal Carolina trails 14-19
Streak: Win 1
Last 10: 3-7
Season Series: Coastal Carolina and High Point split the season series with each team claiming victory on its home court. High Point won 80-65 on Jan. 21, with Erin Reynolds leading four Panthers in double figures with a game-high 25 points. Angelica Henry's buzzer-beating layup lifted Coastal to a 59-58 victory on Feb. 20, as Olivia Irick poured in a team-high 20 points.
The Opening Tip
The Chants and the Panthers
Friday's game marks the 34th all-time meeting on the hardwood between Coastal Carolina and High Point with the Panthers holding an 19-14 edge in the series. Coastal claimed eight of the first 10 meetings between 1998 and 2002; however, High Point has won seven of the last 10.
A Look At The High Point Panthers
High Point enters the game on a four game winning streak after dropping five straight through the middle stretch of Big South play.
Under the direction of first-year head coach Jennifer Hoover, High Point is averaging 68.3 points, 40.6 rebounds, 11.0 steals and 5.3 blocks per game.
Shamia Brown (16.0), Erin Reynolds (14.9) and Cheyenne Parker (13.2) each average double-figure scoring performances per game. Parker ranks tops in the league averaging 3.72 blocks and 12.3 boards per game.
• Coastal Carolina earned the No. 7 seed in Big South Tournament with a 6-12 conference mark.
• The Chanticleers are 1-11 away from Kimbel Arena this season with the lone win coming at Western Carolina on Nov. 22.
• Coastal Carolina holds a 14-25 all-time mark in the Big South Tournament and has advanced to the championship game three times (1999, 2000, 2002).
• Coastal's 14 Big South Tournament wins ranks third all-time behind Liberty's 41 and Radford's 32.
• The Chants are 1-4 all-time against High Point in the Big South Tournament. Coastal's lone win came by way of a 68-62 decision in the quarterfinal round of the 2004 tournament.
• Coastal Carolina and High Point met during the 2005 tournament in the No. 2 vs. No. 7 quarterfinal with No. 2 High Point earning a 55-41 victory.
• Shatia Cole (12.5), Olivia Irick (11.5) and Kayla Cook (11.0) each averaged double digits in Coastal's two games against High Point.
• Coastal has lost two straight Big South tournament games. The Chants' last tournament victory came in the opening round of the 2010 tournament with a 52-44 defeat of Charleston Southern.
Injuries and illness have decimated the Chanticleers this season leaving only 10 active players heading into the Big South Tournament. Coastal started the season with 13 active players after electing to red-shirt freshmen Keyaurna Wilson and DJ Hunter. However, over the past three weeks Coastal has lost sophomores Shanika Maddox and Alexx Puckett to season-ending injuries and senior Courtney Grambley to illness.
Three Yes, But Not Four
Coastal's loss at Winthrop gave the team its third consecutive loss for the third time this season. However, the Chanticleers have twice avoided dropping four straight. Coastal snapped its first three game skid with a 58-56 win over Radford and its second with a 59-58 defeat of High Point. Both victories featured a buzzer-beating shot to lift the Chants to the win (Olivia Irick vs. Radford and Angelica Henry vs. High Point).
Coastal In The Quarterfinal Round
Coastal Carolina holds a 10-15 record in the quarterfinal round of the Big South Tournament. Most recently the Chanticleers defeated No. 4 seeded Charleston Southern in 2010, but lost last year's quarterfinal to top-seeded Liberty. Additionally today's game marks the fifth time the Chants have squared off against High Point in the quarterfinal round.
Climbing the Charts
Senior Olivia Irick's 41 3-pointers this season moved her into eighth place in the Coastal Carolina career record book with 114 made 3-pointers. Irick, who averages 1.52 treys per game, needs two more trifectas to equal Tina Boester (1992-96) for seventh all-time.