Men's Cross Country Defeats North Carolina and East Carolina in the CCU Invitational
CONWAY, S.C. -- Coastal Carolina's men's cross country team won the 2006 CCU Invitational held at Quail Creek Golf Course, Sept. 16. The meet was held as a double dual, as the Chanticleers, ranked 12th in the region, defeated North Carolina, ranked 13th in the region, 24-32 and defeated East Carolina 15-50.
The Chanticleers went 1-2 and finished four runners in the top seven, led by freshman Jamie McCarthy's (Riverstick, Cork Co., Ireland/North Monastery) course record of 25:25.64 to win the individual 8K title. Senior Doug Currie (Sarnia, Ontario/Sarnia Northern) fought McCarthy to the end and finished in second, just three seconds behind at 25:28.01. Freshman Max Hacker finished fifth (Hazelwood, Mo./Hazelwood West) in 25:41.03, while freshman John Heron (Manlius, N.Y./Fayetteville-Manlius) was seventh after losing a shoe in the opening mile and running the remainder of the race with just one shoe.
"It was a very competitive meet between us and North Carolina," head coach Jeff Jacobs said. "It was tight through the first 5K as each team had five in the pack until then. But we did a great job from that point, especially Jamie McCarthy and Doug Currie making a good move over the last mile of the course to pull out first and second. It was also another great run by Max Hacker to finish fifth, while John Heron did a great job running with one shoe after losing his shoe in the first mile of the race, showing composure and guts. It was a big win for the program to beat someone like UNC, as they are a very good team."
The Chanticleers are back in action, Fri., Sept. 29 at the Paul Short Run in Lehigh, Pa.
Coastal Carolina 24, North Carolina 32
Coastal Carolina 15, East Carolina 50
1. Jamie McCarthy (Coastal) -25:25.64 (course record)
2. Doug Currie (Coastal) - 25:28.01
3. Tristram Thomas (North Carolina) - 25:34.46
4. Alex Ray (North Carolina) - 25:34.72
5. Max Hacker (Coastal) - 25:41.03
7. John Heron (Coastal) - 25:46.94
9. Blair Paul (Coastal) - 26:00.89
10. Jake Morris (Coastal) - 26:03.07
14. Timmy Supplee (Coastal) - 27:13.29
19. Korey Larson (Coastal) - 27:55.78
21. Ryan Caputo (Coastal) - 28:15.85
High School Boys Scores
1. North Myrtle Beach 59
2. Myrtle Beach 67
3. St. James 69
4. Andrews 84
5. Socastee 91
6. Carolina Forest 139
Top 5 Individuals
1. Jeremy Hutson (Aynor) - 18:08
2. Josh Dunn (Socastee) - 18:16
3. Weston Parker (NMB) - 18:23
4. Amelio Carter (Carolina Forest) - 18:33
5. Justin Stoddard (St. James) - 18:36d