CONWAY, S.C. The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team (15-6, 4-2 Big South) defeated non-conference rival Mercer 4-3 on Sunday morning, April 2 at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
The number one singles match saw sophomore David Mellis (London, England/Goffs) down senior Tobias Ohrstrom 6-2, 6-3. CCU junior Elliott Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) was defeated by senior Warren Woolfolk in the second singles match 6-4, 7-5. Junior Simon Taylor (Hampshire, England/Queen's Mary College) won the third singles match over junior Mario Gil 6-2, 6-2. The fourth singles match was dropped by Coastal junior Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital) to junior Patrick Russo 4-6, 6-2, 7-5. Coastal's junior Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) won the fifth match 2-6, 7-6 (7-5) over junior Nathan Starr. The Chanticleers dropped the sixth and final singles match as junior Ryan Weisband (Pittsburgh, Pa./Fox Chapel) fell to freshman Chapman Mitchell 6-4, 6-4.
The Chanticleers took the doubles point by forfeit. Quibell and Redding were credited win an 8-0 win over Ohrstrom/Woolfolk. The CCU second doubles team of Taylor/Caress took the forfeit 8-0 win over Ryan Ingram/Starr. The Coastal double team of Mellis/Dowis took the 8-0 third forfeit over GilMitchell.
"This was a hard fought thrilling come from behind victory," head coach Chris Powers commented. "This win puts us one away from the all-time win record at Coastal with one match to go in the season. Next week will be challenge as we head to Winthrop, but we will work hard in practice this week to prepare."
The Chants take to the road for the last match of the season as it takes on conference rival Winthrop at 2 p.m. on Friday, April 7.
Coastal Carolina 4, Mercer 3
1. David Mellis (CCU) def. Tobias Ohrstrom (MER) 6-2, 6-3
2. Warren Woolfolk (MER) def. Elliott Quibell (CCU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Simon Taylor (CCU) def. Mario Gil (MER) 6-2, 6-2
4. Patrick Russo (MER) def. Richard Redding (CCU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Andy Caress (CCU) def. Starr (MER) 2-6, 7-6, 7-5
6. Chapman Mitchell (MER) def. Ryan Weisband (CCU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Quibell/Redding (CCU) def. Ohrstrom/Woolfolk (MER) 8-0
2. Caress/Taylor (CCU) def. Ryan Ingram/Starr (MER) 8-0
3. Dowis/Mellis (CCU) def. Gil/Mitchell (MER) 8-0