CONWAY, S.C. -- The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team moved into second place in the Big South Conference with a 5-2 win over visiting Birmingham-Southern, Mar. 26.With the win, the Chanticleers move to 14-5 on the 2006 campaign, including a 4-1 mark in Big South play, while the Panthers dropped to 4-9 and 1-4 in league play.
Coastal swept the three doubles matches, including a tiebreaker win at No. 1 singles by juniors Elliott Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) and Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital), winning the tiebreak 8-4.
The Panthers won the first two singles matches, but Coastal won the next four singles matches, including junior Andy Caress' (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) three-set victory at No. 3 over Matt Mabry, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1. Coastal was also celebrating Senior Day, as senior Brian Dowis (Yorktown, Va./York) celebrated his final home matches with a pair of victories, winning at No. 2 doubles with sophomore David Mellis (London, England/Goffs) and also getting a straight set win at No. 5 doubles.
The Chants are next in action Thu., Mar. 30, heading to the road for a Big South Conference match at Charleston Southern at 2 p.m.
1. Thomas Richter (BSC) defeated David Mellis (Coastal), 6-1, 6-2
2. Mauricio Engler (BSC) defeated Elliott Quibell (Coastal), 6-4, 6-0
3. Andy Caress (Coastal) defeated Matt Mabry (BSC), 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
4. Simon Taylor (Coastal) defeated David Ray (BSC),6-2, 6-2
5. Brian Dowis (Coastal) defeated Martin Crockett (BSC),6-3, 6-1
6. Richard Redding (Coastal) defeated Richard Walsh (BSC),6-3, 6-3
1. Elliott Quibell/Richard Redding (Coastal) won Mauricio Engler/Richard Walsh, 8-7 (4)
2. David Mellis/Brian Dowis (Coastal), 8-4 def Matt Mabry/Martin Crockett (BSC), 8-2
3. Simon Taylor/Andy Caress (Coastal) def. Thomas Richter/David Ray (BSC), 8-2