HIGH POINT, N.C. -- The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team rallied after losing the doubles point to scramble for a 4-3 Big South Conference victory over host High Point, Mar. 25.With their first-ever win over HPU, the Chanticleers move to 13-5 on the 2006 campaign, including a 3-1 mark in Big South play, while the Panthers fell to 8-8 and 2-4 in league action.
High Point took the doubles point by winning two of the three matches, with juniors Simon Taylor (Hampshire, England/Queen Mary's College) and Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) getting the only doubles victory for Coastal over Ben Deloume and Bobby Brooke, 8-2.
The host Panthers then took the No. 1 and 2 singles matches in straight sets to take a commanding 3-0 dual match lead. CCU lost the first set in three of the four remaining matches, but battled back in those remaining matches and won the final four matches in three sets each. Getting the wins were Taylor (No. 3), Caress (No. 4), junior Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital) and senior Brian Dowis (Yorktown, Va./York). Redding had the most dramatic finish, winning the final set 7-6.
The Chants conclude a busy week at home, hosting Birmingham-Southern at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center, Sun., Mar. 26 at 1 p.m.
1. Mike Tolman (HPU) def. David Mellis (CCU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Chris Archer (HPU) def. Elliot Quibell (CCU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Simon Taylor (CCU) def. Ben Deloume (HPU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Andy Caress (CCU) def. Bobby Brooke (HPU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Richard Redding (CCU) def. Jim Trussler (HPU), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
6. Brian Dowis (CCU) def. Dave Perren (HPU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Tolman/Archer (HPU) def. Quibell/Redding (CCU), 8-3
2. Taylor/Caress (CCU) def. Deloume/Brooke (HPU), 8-2
3. Trussler/Perren (HPU) def. Mellis/Dowis (CCU), 8-4