Men's Tennis Defeats Host North Carolina A&T, 5-2
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team continued their success this season, winning on the road at North Carolina A&T, 5-2, Mar. 24. With the victory, the Chanticleers move to 12-5 on the 2006 campaign and secure a winning season for the first time since 1996, while the Bulldogs fall to 6-12.
Coastal took the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Juniors Elliott Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) and Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital) teamed up for their 10th win of the season at No. 1 doubles, defeating Vitas Hawley and Londell Hartsfield 8-6. The dramatic point clincher came at No. 2 doubles, where juniors Simon Taylor (Hampshire, England/Queen Mary's College) and Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) battled to get a 9-8 victory, winning the tiebreaker 8-6.
In singles, Quibell, Taylor, Redding and senior Brian Dowis (Yorktown, Va./York) all secured straight-set victories. Quibell advanced to 15-2 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Vitas Hawley, while Taylor is now 12-5 in singles after a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles over Jeremy Martin.
The Chants will play two conference matches this weekend, starting at High Point, Sat., Mar. 25 at noon. The weekend's activity will conclude at home, with Coastal hosting Birmingham-Southern, Sun., Mar. 26 at 1 p.m.
1. Elliott Quibell/Richard Redding (Coastal) defeated Vitas Hawley/Londell Hartsfield (NC A&T), 8-6
2. Simon Taylor/Andy Caress (Coastal) defeated Jared Martin/Jeremy Martin (NC A&T), 9-8 (8-6)
3. Damon Martin/Porter Myrick (NC A&T) defeated David Mellis/Ryan Weisband (Coastal), 8-2
1. Damon Martin (NC A&T) defeated David Mellis (Coastal), 1-6, 6-2, 10-6
2. Elliott Quibell (Coastal) defeated Vitas Hawley (NC A&T), 6-3, 6-1
3. Simon Taylor (Coastal) defeated Jeremy Martin (NC A&T), 6-1, 6-3
4. Porter Myrick (NC A&T) defeated Andy Caress (Coastal), 6-2, 7-6
5. Richard Redding (Coastal) defeated Quincy Hawley (NC A&T), 6-3, 6-3
6. Brian Dowis (Coastal) defeated Jared Martin (NC A&T), 6-3, 6-2