CONWAY, S.C. The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team (11-4) dropped its non-conference match to Elon (8-3) 6-1 on Saturday, March 18 at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
The number one singles match saw sophomore David Mellis (London, England/Goffs) fall to freshman Damon Gooch 6-4, 6-3. CCU junior Elliott Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) defeated sophomore Anuwat Dalodan in the second singles match 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) for Chanticleers lone point of the afternoon. Junior Simon Taylor (Hampshire, England/Queen's Mary College) dropped the third singles match to junior Sebastian Bredberg 6-4, 6-0. The fourth singles match was lost by Coastal's junior Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) 6-3, 6-1 to freshman Gustaf Asplund. Junior Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital) was downed by junior Austin Fenn 6-3, 7-6 (10-8) in the fifth singles match. Senior Brian Dowis (Yorktown, Va./Yorktown) lost the sixth and final singles match to freshman Kevin Colin 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
The Chanticleers lost the doubles point by losing to all three matches to the Elon doubles teams. At the first seed, the Chants Quibell/Redding were defeated by Gooch/Fenn 8-3. In the second doubles seeding Caress/Taylor were downed by Dalodan/Asplund, 8-6. The third doubles seed was dropped by the CCU doubles team of Dowis/Mellis to Colin/Bredberg 8-3.
"Elon is the strongest team we've played this season and they were ready to play today", head coach Chris Powers commented. "We came out flat and uninspired on the doubles court, but rallied to play solid on the singles court. Today's match really demonstrated that we still need to improve. Our best tennis match is still ahead if the guys are willing to make a real push on the practice courts next week."
The Chants host non-conference opponent Ohio State on March 20 at 2 p.m.
Elon 6, Coastal Carolina 1
1. Damon Gooch (ELON) def. David Mellis (CCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Elliott Quibell (CCU) def. Anuwat Dalodan (ELON) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
3. Sebastian Bredberg (ELON) def. Simon Taylor (CCU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Gustaf Asplund (ELON) def. Andy Caress (CCU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Austin Fear (ELON) def. Richard Redding (CCU) 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Kevin Colin (ELON) def. Brian Dowis (CCU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
1. Gooch/Fenn (ELON) def. Quibell/Redding (CCU) 8-3
2. Dalodan/Asplund (ELON) def. Caress/Taylor (CCU) 8-6
3. Colin/Bredberg (ELON) def. Dowis/Mellis (CCU) 8-3