CONWAY, S.C. The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team (9-3, 1-1 Big South) won its conference match against UNC Asheville (2-5) 5-2 on Thursday, March 9. For CCU it was the fifth conseuctive match its has won and the first conference win since 2003.
The number one singles match saw sophomore David Mellis (London, England/Goffs) drop a 7-6, 6-2 decision to junior Loic Hereson. CCU junior Elliott Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) defeated freshman Vadim Ivanov in the second singles match 6-3, 6-3. Junior Simon Taylor (Hampshire, England/Queen's Mary College) won the third singles match over junior Rob Nunnery 6-4, 6-3. The fourth singles match was won by Coastal's junior Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) 6-3, 6-3 over Greg Donabedian. Junior Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth's Hospital) defeated sophomore Nicholas Thuell 6-4, 6-1 in the fifth singles match. Junior Ryan Weisband (Pittsburgh, Pa./Fox Chapel) dropped the sixth and final singles match 7-5, 6-4 to Tyler Begg.
The Chanticleers took the doubles point by defeating two of the three UNC Asheville doubles teams. At the first seed, the Chants Quibell/Redding were defeated by Hereson/Doyle 8-5. In the second doubles seeding Caress/Taylor defeated Bagg/Ivanov, 8-4. The third doubles seed also was for Coastal as Mellis/Weisband downed Donabedian//Thuell 8-4.
"It's great to get our first conference win since 2003, but we are looking toward Saturday as our another opportunity to move up in the league, head coach Chris Powers commented. "Our guys have commited to a new standard and anything less than our best effort is no longer acceptable."
The Chants host conference rival Liberty at 12 p.m. on March 11. Non-conference James Madison comes in for the final match of the weekend on March 12 at 12 p.m.
Coastal Carolina 5, UNC Asheville 2
1. Loic Hereson (UNCA) def. David Mellis (CCU) 7-6, 6-2
2. Elliott Quibell (CCU) def. Vadim Ivanoc (UNCA) 6-3, 6-3
3. Simon Taylor (CCU) def. Rob Nunnery (UNCA) 6-4, 6-3
4. Andy Caress (CCU def. Greg Donabedian (UNCA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Richard Redding (CCU) Nicholas Thuell (UNCA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Tyler Begg (UNCA) def. Ryan Weisband (CCU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Hereson/Nunnery def. Quibell/Redding (CCU) 8-5
2. Caress/Taylor (CCU) def. Begg/Ivanov (UNCA) 8-5
3. Dowis/Mellis (CCU) def. Donabedian/Thuell (UNCA) 8-4