BUIES CREEK, N.C. The Coastal Carolina's men's tennis team (3-2) dropped a tough road match to Campbell (3-2) 5-2 on Wednesday afternoon, Feb. 15 in Buies Creek, N.C. Coastal won two singles matches and one of the doubles matches.
Sophomore David Mellis (London, England/Goffs) dropped a tough number-one singles match to Florent Wilpotte 7-5, 4-6, 6-2. Coastal rallied in the second singles match, as junior Elliot Quibell (Derby, England/Cheam (Colorado)) defeated Gabriel Delarue in straight sets 7-5, 6-2. Junior Simon Taylor (Hampshire. England/Queen's Mary College) dropped the third singles set 6-2, 6-3. The fourth singles match was a tough fought 2-6, 7-6, 6-3 loss by junior Richard Redding (Winscombe, England/Queen Elizabeth College). CCU junior Andy Caress (Cincinnati, Ohio/Princeton) won the fifth singles match in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. Senior Brian Dowis (Yorktown, Va./York) was defeated in the final singles match 7-6, 6-1.
The doubles matches saw the Coastal team of Mellis/Dowis defeat the Campbell team of Artoym Starkov/Vasja Gorjup 8-5 for the Chanticleers victory on the doubles court.
"The guys came out flat in doubles, but we managed to fight our way into the match quite well", head coach Chris Powers commented. "We've really taken a solid step with our play and team spirit. Today many of the call went against us and we still came close to beating a quality opponent. We still have much work to do, but we are on the right path."
Coastal will return to action this weekend, Feb, 18, as it hosts Longwood at 9 a.m. and Wofford at 4 p.m.
Campbell 5, Coastal 2
1. Florent Wilpotte (CAM) def. David Mellis (CCU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
2. Elliott Quibell (CCU) def. Gabriel Delarue (CAM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Marc Sifre (CAM) def. Simon Taylor (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Artoym Starkov (CAM) def. Richard Redding (CCU) 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
5. Andy Caress (CCU) def. Vasja Gorjup (CAM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ryan Mills (CAM) def. Brian Dowis (CCU) 7-6, 6-1
EX Ryan Weisband (CCU) def. Sebastain Thesleff (CAM) 8-6
1. Wilpotte/Delarue (CAM) def. Redding/Quibell (CCU) 8-6
2. Sifre/Mills (CAM) def. Taylor/Caress (CCU) 8-3
3. Mellis/Dowis (CCU) def. Starkov/Gorjup (CAM) 8-5