Battle at the Beach Day One Results
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team finished with a combined 8-4 record in eight singles matches and four doubles matches against Appalachian State on the opening day of the Coastal Carolina Battle at the Beach, held at CCU's Stevens Tennis Complex.
"Today was a good first step for our program," said head coach Chris Powers. "We played with composure and toughness against a good Sun Belt team today. With such a young group, it was interesting to see them handle themselves as a unit, and I think they passed the first test of many to come."
Three of Coastal's five singles victories came in straight sets, including Gonzalez Achondo on the third court, Paul Boulay on the fourth court and Juan Castellanos on the seventh court. Lawrence Perrin (No. 5) and Harry Cohen (No. 8) each defeated their opponents in three sets.
Coastal took three of the four doubles matches. Luiz Faria and Perrin won 8-4 on the first court. Boulay and Castellanos followed with an 8-5 victory at No. 3, and Francesco Cori-Gamero and Cohen captured the fourth court in a close 9-7 match.
The action resumes on Saturday with Coastal squaring off against Georgia Southern in singles and doubles.
Coastal vs. Appalachian State
1. Webster (App) def. Faria (CCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Bargeron (App) def. Talik (CCU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Achondo (CCU) def. Brown (App) 7-6, 6-4
4. Boulay (CCU) def. Pavkovich (App) 7-5, 6-4
5. Perrin (CCU) def. Brea (App) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
6. Carter (App) def. Gamero (CCU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
7. Castellanos (CCU) def. Stone (App) 6-1, 6-0
8. Cohen (CCU) def. Heller (App) 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
1. Faria/Perrin (CCU) def. Pavkovich/Bargeron 8-4
2. Webster/Brown (App) def. Talik/Achonda (CCU) 8-6
3. Boulay/Castellanos (CCU) def. Brea/Stone 8-5
4. Gamero/Cohen (CCU) def. Carter/Heller 9-7