April 22, 2010
Release Courtesy of the Big South Conference
RADFORD, Va. - Despite dropping the doubles point, Coastal Carolina University men's tennis team bounced back to defeat UNC Asheville, 4-2, in the quarterfinals of the 2010 Big South Men's Tennis Championship on Thursday evening at the RU Tennis Courts.
Coastal Carolina (13-7) advances to the semifinals and will take on the second-seeded Winthrop Friday afternoon at 1 p.m.
After the Chanticleers recorded an 8-5 decision on court three, Asheville responded with wins from Matt Wiasson and Jonas Broceck (8-5) and Nathan White and Nicola Nonnenbroich (8-4) at positions one and two, respectively.
In singles play, Alex Funkhouser put the first point on the board for the Chanticleers with a 6-1, 6-1 victory at the No. 4 position.
UNC Asheville went back in front (2-1) with Matt Waissen's 6-3, 6-4 decision at the second spot.
Shortly after match two was decided, Coastal Carolina took its first lead of the evening with victories from Matt Gordon (6-4, 6-4) and Dimitry Vlaskin (6-3, 6-4) at the No. 2 and No. 1, respectively.
Clinging to a 3-2 advantage with matches five and six still in progress, the Chanticleers' Peter Billingham secured the comeback with a 7-6 (4), 6-3 win over Thomas Rees.
In a rematch of last season's semifinals, the Chanticleers will face No. 2 Winthrop, tomorrow, April 23 at 1 p.m.
UNC Asheville vs Coastal Carolina
4/22/2010 at Radford, Va.
(RU Tennis Courts)
Coastal Carolina 4, UNC Asheville 2
1. Gordon, Matt (CCU) def. NONNENBROICH, Nicola (UNCA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Vlaskin, Dmitry (CCU) def. LANGEARD, Adrien (UNCA) 6-3, 6-4
3. WAISSEN, Matt (UNCA) def. Tzvetkov, Plamen (CCU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Funkhouser, Alex (CCU) def. BROBECK, Jonas (UNCA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Billingham, Peter (CCU) def. REES, Thomas (UNCA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
6. Sovic, Dorian (CCU) vs. MATTHEWS, Ryan (UNCA) 6-1, 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
1. WAISSEN, Matt/BROBECK, Jonas (UNCA) def. GORDON, Matt/BILLINGHAM, Peter (CCU) 8-5
2. WHITE, Nathan/NONNENBROICH, Nicola (UNCA) def. VLASKIN, Dmitry/FUNKHOUSER, Alex (CCU) 8-4
3. TZVETKOV, Plamen/SOVIC, Dorian (CCU) def. LANGEARD, Adrien/REES, Thomas (UNCA) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,1,2,5)