April 14, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team handed a 5-2 loss to Winthrop on Sunday afternoon to complete the 2013 season with an unblemished Big South Conference record, and claim the conference's regular season championship.
The Chanticleers (12-5, 8-0) and Eagles (9-12, 5-3) will now prepare for the Big South tournament, which starts later this week.
Winthrop came out firing, quickly taking the lead on all three doubles courts. The Chants would rally back, however, to sweep all three doubles decisions and claim the match's first point.
Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale teamed up to take a 9-8 win at No. 1 over Winthrop's pair of Dylan Comerford and Peter Nagovnak. Leo Christofides and John Karle then picked up a 9-7 win over Corey DeCandia and Juan Pablo Boada at No. 2. Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson finished off doubles play by outlasting Michael Chen and Steven Patrick at No. 3, 9-8.
After taking a 1-0 lead in the match, the Chants won four singles points to take their seventh straight match.
Yedigarian downed Boada at No. 3, 6-2, 6-4. Di Pasquale outlasted Chen in three sets at No. 5, 0-6, 6-2, 6-2. Nilsson also won in three sets, besting Nagovnak at No. 4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1. Christofides won by retirement at No. 1.
Ivar Aramburu and Patrick won their matches at Nos. 2 and 6, respectively, to earn Winthrop's two points.
"We were down on all three courts in doubles, but we fought back in every match to capture the point," said head coach Chris Powers. "It has been a great run to this point, but everything changes at the conference tournament. We will have to fight harder than ever next week."
Coastal will travel to Rock Hill, S.C. this week to compete in the Big South tournament. The tournament starts with the quarterfinals on Thursday, April 18, the semifinals will take place on Friday, and the Big South championship will be played on Saturday.
Coastal Carolina 5, Winthrop 2
1. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) def. Dylan Comerford (WU) 3-4, retired
2. Ivar Aramburu (WU) def. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) 5-7, 6-4, retired
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. Juan Pablo Boada (WU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Peter Nagovnak (WU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
5. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Michael Chen (WU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Steven Patrick (WU) def. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-3
1. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Dylan Comerford/Peter Nagovnak (WU) 9-8
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (COASTAL) def. Corey Decandia/Juan Pablo Boada (WU) 9-7
3. Yusuke Kusuda/Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Michael Chen/Steven Patrick (WU) 9-8
Winthrop 9-12, 5-3
Coastal Carolina 12-5, 8-0