April 1, 2014
Buies Creek, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team battled back from two deficits to take a close 4-3 win over Campbell, who entered Tuesday afternoon’s match as the top team in the Big South Conference. Senior Ted Nilsson came through with the match-winning point at No. 3, knocking off Campbell’s Dominik Kaniewski in a third-set tiebreaker 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.
The Chanticleers’ second conference win of the season brought Campbell’s six-match win streak to halt, and advances them to 10-6, 2-1. The loss was Campbell’s first against a conference opponent this season, and drops the Camels to 9-5, 4-1.
Campbell took the first lead of the match after claiming the doubles point.
Fernando Guillen and Rik van Gerwen bested Coastal’s Renan Samed and Garik Yedigarian 8-5 on the second court, followed by Jean-Marc Krone and Marthinus Visser picking up an 8-7 win at No. 3 against Ted Nilsson and Hunter Whalen.
Coastal’s No. 1 duo of Leo Christofides and Philippe Tsanagaridis closed out doubles with an 8-6 win over Dominik Kaniewski and Adiren Rossignon.
#87 Tsangaridis evened the match as play turned to singles, picking up a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 and ending Guillen’s 10-match win streak.
The Chants took their first lead of the day after a win at No. 2 singles where Yedigarian bested Visser 6-4, 6-1.
Campbell claimed the next two points, picking up wins at No. 6 and 5 to give the Camels a 3-2 lead. Steven Billington defeated Whalen at No. 6 and Rossignon ousted Jabor Al-Mutawa at No. 5.
Christofides stopped Campbell from closing out the match, picking up a three-set victory at No. 4. After dropping the first set, Christofides fought back to take the second and third to tie the match for the third time and set up the match-deciding contest at No. 3
“This was an amazing college tennis match,” said Chanticleer head coach Chris Powers. “The team showed incredible heart today on the road against the top team in the league. We still have a lot of tennis to go but we will enjoy this one tonight.”
The Chants return home on Saturday when they host Presbyterian for a 1 p.m. match in the friendly confines of the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. Coastal holds an 8-1 record at home this season.
Coastal Carolina 4, Campbell 3
1. TSANGARIDIS,Philippe (COASTAL) def. Fernando Guillen (CAMM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. Marthinus Visser (CAMM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. Dominik Kaniewski (CAMM) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
4. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. Rik Van Gerwen (CAMM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Adrien Rossignon (CAMM) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Steven Billington (CAMM) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 7-6, 6-4
1. CHRISTOFIDES, Leo/TSANGARIDIS,Philippe (COASTAL) def. Dominik Kaniewski/Adrien Rossignon
2. Fernando Guillen/Rik Van Gerwen (CAMM) def. SAMED, Renan/YEDIGARIAN, Garik (COASTAL) 8-5
3. Jean-Marc Krone/Marthinus Visser (CAMM) def. NILSSON, Ted/WHALEN, Hunter (COASTAL) 8-7
Coastal Carolina 10-6, 2-1 Big South
Campbell 9-5, 4-1 Big South
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,6,5,4,3)