Coastal Downs Longwood to Remain Perfect in Big South
March 29, 2013
Farmville, Va. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team won its fourth straight match, and kept its perfect Big South record intact with a convincing 6-1 win at Longwood on Friday afternoon.
The win advances Coastal to 9-5 (6-0) while the Longwood loss puts the Lancers at 3-11 (0-7).
For the second consecutive match, the Chants opened the scoring by sweeping all three doubles positions.
Matias Di Pasquale and Garik Yedigarian teamed up to hand an 8-5 loss to Daniel Elston and Edward Becker at No. 1. John Karle and Leo Christofides followed up with an 8-6 win at No. 2 over Giorgi Khmiadashvili and Steed Johnson. Ted Nilsson and Yusuke Kusuda closed out the doubles matches at No. 3, taking an 8-1 victory over Harry Kelleher and Bharani Sankar.
The Chanticleers continued to display their dominance in singles play, taking five of the six matches.
Christofides took a 7-6, 6-4 victory at No. 1 against Khmiadashvili. Kusuda handed a 7-5, 6-1 loss to Elston at No. 2. Yedigarian won his eighth straight match at No. 3, 6-1, 6-4 over Becker. Nilsson strung together a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4, and freshman Hunter Whalen grabbed a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 6 over Higgs.
Johnson provided the lone point for Longwood, defeating Di Pasquale in three sets 6-4, 3-6, 10-8.
“We played a very spirited team on the road today and handled their intensity well,” said Coastal coach Chris Powers. “It is great to get another conference win and stay on track for our season goals.”
The Chants will travel from Longwood to Greenville, N.C. to square off against East Carolina on Saturday at 12 p.m.
Coastal Carolina 6, Longwood 1
1. Leo Christofides def. Giorgi Khmiasdashvili 7-6, 6-4
2. Yusuke Kusuda def. Daniel Elston 7-5, 6-1
3. Garik Yedigarian def. Edward Becker 6-1, 6-4
4. Ted Nilsson def. Harry Kelleher 6-2, 6-3
5. Steed Johnson def. Matias Di Pasquale 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
6. Hunter Whalen def. Justin Higgs 6-3, 6-2
1. Di Pasquale/Yedigarian def. Elston/Becker 8-5
2. Karle/Christofides def. Khmiadashvili/Johnson 8-6
3. Nilsson/Kusuda def. Sankar/Kelleher 8-1