March 28, 2014
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team lost 4-3 to Jacksonville State on Friday afternoon in a tightly contested match that was decided by the final doubles match. The loss marks just the second time this season that the Chanticleers (9-6, 1-1) have fallen in back-to-back matches.
Due to anticipated rain, play began with best-of-six singles with a round of doubles to follow if a tiebreaker was necessary. Coastal jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but doubles proved to be necessary as JSU mounted a comeback and the teams entered the tiebreaker knotted at 3 apiece.
#87 Philippe Tsangaridis put Coastal on the board first after a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Pedro Wagner. Garik Yedigarian followed suit, downing Jaryd Reese at No. 2 6-4, 6-2 to give the Chants a 2-0 lead.
Dylan Gee took the first point of the match for JSU, cutting the Chants’ lead in half with a come-from-behind, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Leo Christofides.
Hunter Whalen stretched the lead for the Chants with a three-set tiebreaker, besting Felipe Diaz 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 on the sixth court.
Down 3-1, Mathias Chaim brought JSU back within one after outlasting Jabor Al-Mutawa at No. 5, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3.
Chaim’s win at No. 5 set up a thrilling finish to singles at No. 4 where Ted Nilsson and Jeff Wendler-Filho were in the middle of a third-set tiebreaker. Nilsson had come from behind in the third set to force the tiebreaker, but Wendler-Filho hung on for a 7-6 win in the third to force the deciding doubles point.
The expected rain began in the early stages of doubles and delayed the match for a little over an hour.
Once play resumed, Coastal’s top pair of Christofides and Tsangaridis won the first doubles match 8-2 over Reese and Wagner.
Chaim and Gee countered at No. 2 doubles, tying the match once more with an 8-6 win over Yedigarian and Renan Samed.
JSU’s Wendler-Filho and Wenzel went on to seal the match for the Gamecocks, hanging on for an 8-6 win at No. 3 over Nilsson and Whalen.
The Chants will look to bounce back from their consecutive losses on Sunday when they travel to Rock Hill, S.C., to take on Winthrop in a 2 p.m. match.
Jacksonville State 4, Coastal Carolina 3
1. #87 TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) def. WAGNER, Pedro (JSU`) 6-2, 6-1
2. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. REESE, Jaryd (JSU`) 6-4, 6-2
3. GEE, Dylan (JSU`) def. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. WENDLER-FILHO, Jeff (JSU`) def. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6
5. CHAIM, Mathias (JSU`) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) def. DIAZ, Felipe (JSU`) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) def. REESE, Jaryd/WAGNER, Pedro (JSU`) 8-2
2. CHAIM, Mathias/GEE, Dylan (JSU`) def. YEDIGARIAN, Garik/SAMED, Renan (COASTAL) 8-6
3. WENDLER-FILHO, Jeff/WENZEL, Felipe (JSU`) def. NILSSON, Ted/WHALEN, Hunter (COASTAL) 8-6
Jacksonville State 11-6 (4-1)
Coastal Carolina 9-6 (1-1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)