Coastal Downs Campbell to Take Conference Lead
March 26, 2013
The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team claimed first place in the Big South Conference on Tuesday afternoon with a 4-3 win over visiting Campbell University. The Chanticleers (8-5) remain unbeaten in Big South play after winning their fifth straight conference match.
Coastal came out firing, sweeping all three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead.
Leo Christofides and John Karle cruised to an 8-3 victory at No. 2, downing David Clavera and Josep Baro of Campbell. Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson followed up with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Steven Billington and Ondrej Kralik. Matias Di Pasquale and Garik Yedigarian rounded out doubles play at No. 1 with an 8-7, come-from-behind victory over Adrien Rossingnon and Fernando Guillen.
The Chants then picked up two quick wins in singles play to extend their lead to 3-0.
Garik Yedigarian won his seventh straight singles match by downing Billington 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3. Kusuda then recorded the Chants’ third point of the match, winning a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Rossingnon at No. 2.
Campbell began to fight back, getting two straight points from Guillen at No. 1 and Rick Van Gerwen at No. 6.
Nilsson would then dash any hopes that Campbell had of a comeback. Down 0-5 in his first set, Nilsson battled back to take the first 7-5. Nilsson then proceeded to win the second set 6-3 to earn the fourth point and win the match for Coastal.
Clavera won the final singles match at No. 4, 2-6, 7-6, 10-4 over Di Pasquale.
“I thought we played our most complete match today,” said Coastal head coach Chris Powers after the match. “Our doubles play was extremely solid and I was happy with our level of intensity on the singles court. There is still a long way to go this season, but this win keeps us on the path to reaching our goal for the year.”
The Chants will hit the road later this week to play two away games in as many days. The team travels to Longwood on Friday for a 1 p.m. match, followed a noon match at East Carolina on Saturday.
Campbell vs Coastal Carolina
Mar 26, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 4, Campbell 3
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 6-4, 6-2
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) 2-6, 7-6, 10-4
5. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Josep Baro (CAM) 7-5, 6-3
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) 6-1, 7-6
1. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Adrien Rossingnon/Fernando Guillen (CAM) 9-7
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (COASTAL) def. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) 8-3
3. Yusuke Kusuda/Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Steven Billington/Ondrej Kralik (CAM) 8-4
Campbell 9-5 (4-1)
Coastal Carolina 8-5 (5-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (12,3); Singles (3,2,1,6,5,4)