March 22, 2014
Radford, Va. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to Big South rival Radford at the Radford University Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon. The Highlanders’ (2-9, 2-2) win over the Chanticleers (9-5, 1-1) marks the first time that Coastal has lost a regular season match to a conference opponent since April, 2012.
The Chanticleers started the match strong, jumping out to a 1-0 lead after winning all three doubles matches.
Coastal continued to look strong as play turned to singles, with Nilsson giving the Chants a 2-0 lead at No. 5. The senior Chanticleer bested Ascarrunz 6-0, 6-1.
Radford came roaring back however, taking the match’s remaining five points.
Mills started the rally for Radford at No. 4 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Jabor Al-Mutawa. O’Keefe evened the score at 2-2 after scoring a point at No. 2 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Yedigarian.
Thoen gave Radford the lead after dispatching Whalen at No. 6, 7-6, 6-4, and Amycus Autones clinched the match for the Highlanders at No. 3 with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Christofides.
Sayer won the final point of the match, upsetting #75 Tsangaridis.
The Chants will look to rebound from the loss on Friday, March 28, when they host Jacksonville State for a 2:30 p.m. match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
Radford 5, Coastal Carolina 2
1. SAYER, Nicholas (RAD) def. #75 Philippe Tsangaridis (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-4
2. O'KEEFE, Patrick (RAD) def. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-2
3. AUTONES, Aymeric (RAD) def. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) 7-5, 6-3
4. MILLS, Joe (RAD) def. Jabar Al-Mutawa (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-1
5. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. ASCARRUNZ, Nico (RAD) 6-0, 6-1
6. THOEN, Janken (RAD) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Philippe Tsangaridis/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) def. THOEN, Janken/ASCARRUNZ, Nico (RAD) 8-6
2. YEDIGARIAN, Garik/SAMED, Renan (COASTAL) def. SAYER, Nicholas/MILLS, Joe (RAD) 8-7 (7-5)
3. NILSSON, Ted/WHALEN, Hunter (COASTAL) def. O'KEEFE, Patrick/WAASE, Javier (RAD) 8-7 (7-2)
Coastal Carolina 9-5, 1-1 BSC
Radford 2-9, 2-2 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,2,6,3,1)