Coastal Downs PC; Ends Blue Hose Win Streak
March 21, 2013
Clinton, S.C. - A late rally by Yusuke Kusuda proved to be the deciding factor as the Coastal Carolina men's tennis team pulled out a scrappy 4-3 win on Thursday afternoon to end Presbyterian's 10 game winning streak. It was the first time the two teams had met since the Blue Hose (14-7, 1-1) had upset the Chanticleers (6-5, 3-0) in the 2012 Big South semifinals.
The Blue Hose broke the scoring, going 2-1 in doubles play to take a one point lead early in the match.
Presbyterian's No. 2 pair of Grayson Mills and Rafael Berghaus started things off, taking an 8-3 win over Leo Christofides and John Karle. The Blue Hose struck once more, as Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale at No. 1 were not able to hold off Andrew Brigham and William O'Connell.
Down 1-0, Coastal quickly evened the tilt as Ted Nilsson took the first singles match 6-1, 6-0 over Presbyterian's No. 5 Andrew Brigham. Asis Gonzalo of the Blue Hose returned fire, reclaiming the lead for Presbyterian at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Hunter Whalen.
The remainder of the match continued in a back-and-forth fashion with each team trading points.
Matias Di Pasquale, playing at No. 4, handed a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Rafael Berghaus of the Blue Hose to tie the match once again at 2-2.
Presbyterian then regained the lead one more time after Grayson Mills, in the first singles position, outlasted Leo Christofides to take a 7-5, 6-3 victory.
A tremendous three-set effort by Garik Yedigarian at No. 3 would even the score for Coastal at 3-3 after the sophomore downed Danny Bruce 5-7, 6-3, 6-3.
In a twist of fate that recalled memories of the 2012 Big South semifinal, the final point of the match rested on the No. 2 singles decision between Coastal's Yusuke Kusuda and Presbyterian's William O'Connell. Kusuda dropped the first set 3-6 before claiming the second 6-2. Trailing 1-5 in the third set, Kusude battled back to win a 7-6 tiebreaker that gave Coastal the final point of the match and a 4-3 victory.
"This was a great road win against a tough Presbyterian team," said Coastal head coach Chris Powers. "I am so proud of Yusuke and the whole team for sticking together and gutting out this win."
The Chanticleers will look to stay unbeaten in Big South play when they travel to UNC Asheville on Friday for a 1 p.m. match.
Coastal Carolina vs Presbyterian College
Mar 21, 2013 at Clinton, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 4, Presbyterian College 3
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) 7-5, 6-3
2. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) def. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-1, 6-0
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-4
1. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Matias Di Pasquale/Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) 8-5
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. John Karle/Leo Christofides (COASTAL) 8-3
3. Ted Nilsson/Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) def. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) 8-3
Coastal Carolina 6-5, 3-0 Big South
Presbyterian College 14-7, 1-1 Big South