March 16, 2013
Richmond, Va. - The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team came up just short at Richmond Friday afternoon, falling 4-3 to the Spiders. With the loss, the team’s record falls to 5-5.
Coastal got off to a fast start, winning two of three doubles matches to grab the opening point.
Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale teamed up to hand a 8-3 defeat to Fauchet and Feder of the Spiders. Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson followed suit, winning a similar 8-3 match over Dylan Trent and Justin Baker at No. 3. Richmond won the remaining match at No. 2 where Leo Christofides and John Karle fell 8-6 to Ethan Dunbar and Paul Nahon.
Despite taking the 1-0 lead, the Chants were unable to hold on as Richmond came back to win four of the six singles decisions and claim the match.
Coastal received singles wins at No. 3, where Yedigarian downed Nahon in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, and at No. 6 where Hunter Whalen triumphed over Baker, 7-6 (2), 6-2.
Dunbar (No. 1), Feder (No. 2), Fauchet (No. 4) and Trent (No. 5) were the singles winners for Richmond.
The Chanticleers still remain unbeaten in the Big South Conference with a 2-0 record and will have a chance to continue their conference winning streak on Thursday, March 21 when they travel to Clinton, S.C. to take on Presbyterian College.
Richmond 4, Coastal Carolina 3
1. Ethan Dunbar def. Yusuke Kusuda , 6-3, 6-1
2. Jesse Feder def. Leo Christofides, 6-3, 6-1
3. Garik Yedigarian def. Paul Nahon III 6-2, 6-1
4. Sebastien Fauchet def. Ted Nilsson 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Dylan Trent def. Matias Di Pasquale 3-6, 6-4,6-2
6. Hunter Whalen def. Justin Baker 7-6(2), 6-2
1. Yedigarian/Di Pasquale def. Fauchet/Feder 8-3
2. Dunbar/Nahon III def. Christofides/Karle 8-6
3. Kusuda/Nilsson def. Trent/Baker 8-3