March 15, 2014
CONWAY - Schedule Note: Sunday’s match against Longwood has been postponed due to impending rain. The match has been moved Sunday, April 13, and will be a home match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team shut out UNC Asheville in their Big South Conference opener Saturday afternoon at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. The win marks the third consecutive match that the Chanticleers (8-4, 1-0) have defeated the Bulldogs (8-7, 0-1).
The Chants took the opening doubles point, winning two of the three matches.
The Chants then won all six singles points, with four coming in straight sets.
Samed put the Chants up 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Will Goldberg at No. 6. Al-Mutawa followed with a straight-sets win at No. 4 over UNCA’s Landau.
Nilsson gave the Chants a commanding 3-0 lead at No. 3 with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Croker and Christofides clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2.
Whalen at No. 5 and Yedigarian at No. 1 provided the Chants’ final two points in third-set tiebreakers.
The Chants return to the court on March 19, when they host non-conference opponent Hofstra. The match is set for 3:30 p.m.
Coastal Carolina 7, UNC Asheville 0
1. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) 6-4, 4-6, 10-1
2. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) 7-6, 6-4
4. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-3, 6-1
5. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) def. SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) 3-6, 7-6, 14-12
6. Samed, Renan (COASTAL) def. GOLDBERG, Will (ASHM) 6-4, 6-1
1. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) def. SAMED, Renan/YEDIGARIAN, Garik (COASTAL) 8-6
2. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) def. KRIPAK, Daniel/SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) 8-4
3. CHRISTOFIDES, Leo/WHALEN, Hunter (COASTAL) def. PANOULAS, Thomas/GOLDBERG, Will (ASHM) 8-6
UNC Asheville 6-6 (0-0)
Coastal Carolina 8-4 (0-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,3,2,5,1)