Coastal Downs Gardner-Webb 6-1
March 10, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team earned its second straight win of the season after handing Big South opponent Gardner-Webb a 6-1 loss Sunday at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
With the win, Coastal moves to 5-4 (2-0) while Gardner-Webb drops to 4-4 (0-1).
Coastal started the scoring quickly, taking all three doubles matches to earn the first point.
The Chants then proceeded to win five of the six singles matches.
Yusuke Kusuda, Leo Christofides, Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale all won their singles matches in straight sets. Hunter Whalen also picked up a win for the Chants, downing Nikita Zverkov in three sets, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1.
Breden Dempsey garnered the only point of the day for the Runnin Bulldogs, winning a tough three-set match over Ted Nilsson, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
“Gardner-Webb is a much improved team and this match was much closer than the score might suggest,” Coastal head coach Chris Powers said after the match. “Our intensity as a unit was great today. The guys have earned a couple days rest before we prepare for Richmond on Friday.”
Friday’s non-conference match at Richmond is slated for a 2 p.m. start.
Gardner-Webb vs Coastal Carolina
Mar 10, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 6, Gardner-Webb 1
1. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) def. Adam Knutsson-Sunbla (GWU) 7-6, 6-0
2. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) def. Roman Piftor (GWU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. Ben Kaszas (GWU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Ernest Alberch (GWU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Brenden Dempsey (GWU) def. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) def. Nikita Zverkov (GWU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
1. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Adam Knutsson-Sunbla/Matthew Parker (GWU) 8-3
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (COASTAL) def. Nikita Zverkov/Ernest Alberch (GWU) 8-3
3. Yusuke Kusuda/Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Ben Kaszas/Brenden Dempsey (GWU) 8-1
Gardner-Webb 4-4 (0-1)
Coastal Carolina 5-4 (2-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,5,4,2,6)