Chants Take Decisive Win Over James Madison
March 9, 2014
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team displayed dominant performances in both singles and doubles as the #68 Chanticleers rolled to a 7-0 win over the visiting James Madison Dukes at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center Saturday morning.
With the win the Chants improve to 7-4 while James Madison falls to 3-5.
Coastal’s pairs grabbed the opening doubles point for the fifth time this season after taking wins on the first and third courts.
Coastal’s third pairing of Renan Samed and Garik Yedigarian started off the doubles round with an 8-2 trouncing of Brett Moorhead and Sebastian Salinas. The Dukes answered at No. 2 as Alex Berdnikoff and Maxi Branth edged Jabor Al-Mutawa and Ted Nilsson 8-6, but the Chants’ top pairing of Philippe Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides won a close 8-7 match over Miljan Ruzic and Robert Stirling to clinch the point.
Christofides started off singles play with a 6-2, 6-2 decision at No. 3 to put the Chants up 2-0.
Freshman Al-Mutawa recorded Coastal’s third point at No. 5, dropping Branth in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1.
#67 Tsangaridis then clinched the match-winning point for the Chants at No. 1 after Stirling retired in the third set. Stirling won the first set 4-6, Tsangaridis took the second 6-3 and was leading 2-0 in the third when the match was brought to a halt.
Nilsson at No. 4, Yedigarian at No. 2 and Hunter Whalen at No. 6 each won their respective matches to give the Chants their final three points.
The Chanticleers return to the courts Saturday, March 15 when they host UNC Asheville to begin the Big South conference portion of their schedule. The match between the Chants and the Bulldogs is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
#68 Coastal Carolina 7, James Madison 0
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) def. Robert Stirling (JMU) 4-6, 6-3, 2-0, retired
2. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 6-3, 7-6
3. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. Miljan Ruzic (JMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. Brett Moorhead (JMU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) def. Niels Kathol (JMU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-5
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) def. Miljan Ruzic/Robert Stirling (JMU) 8-7
2. Alex Berdnikoff/Maxi Branth (JMU) def. AL-MUTAWA, Jabor/NILSSON, Ted (COASTAL) 8-6
3. SAMED, Renan/YEDIGARIAN, Garik (COASTAL) def. Brett Moorhead/Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 8-2
James Madison 3-5
Coastal Carolina 7-4; National ranking #68
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,1,4,2,6)