March 3, 2013
CONWAY - Despite the cold temperatures, the Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team managed to earn a 5-2 non-conference win Sunday over visiting Davidson at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
With the win, the Chants move above .500 with a 4-3 record, while Davidson’s loss moves the Wildcats to a 6-3 overall record.
Coastal took the match’s first point after garnering doubles wins at Nos. 1 and 3.
Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale paired up to hand Chris Mark and Kevin Moore of Davidson an 8-2 defeat, while Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson of the Chants downed Davidson’s pair of Robert Lightbourn and Nicky Kunz by the same score.
The No. 2 doubles match between Christofides/Karle and Schafer/Kallick was left unfinished with the Coastal pair leading 5-3.
The Chants then proceeded to win four of the six singles points, sealing the victory for Coastal.
Leo Christofides, Garik Yedigarian, Matias Di Pasquale and Hunter Whalen all recorded singles wins for the Chants, finishing each match in straight sets. Nicky Kunz took home Davidson’s only victory on the day after ousting Yusuke Kusuda 6-4, 7-6. Robert Lightbourn won his match over Ted Nilsson by way of retirement.
“I thought our doubles play was really excellent today,” said head coach Chris Powers. “We played smart and with solid intensity to win that (doubles) point. Davidson also played with a lot of intensity, but we handled that well in singles to get the win.”
The Chants will remain at home for two more matches, the first against James Madison on March 9, the second against conference foe Gardner-Webb on March 10.
Davidson vs Coastal Carolina
Mar 03, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
Coastal Carolina 5, Davidson 2
1. Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) 6-4, 7-6
2. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) def. Joe Schafer (DAV) 7-5, 6-3
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. Chris Mark (DAV) 6-3, 6-2
4. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) def. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) 6-7, 6-3, retired
5. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Connor Evins (DAV) 6-4, 6-4
6. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) def. Alex Howard (DAV) 6-1, 6-0
1. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. Chris Mark/Kevin Moore (DAV) 8-2
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (COASTAL) vs. Joe Schafer/Ethan Kallick (DAV) 5-3, unfinished
3. Yusuke Kusuda/Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Robert Lightbourn/Nicky Kunz (DAV) 8-2
Coastal Carolina 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,5,4,2,1)