March 3, 2010
CONWAY, S.C.-The Coastal Carolina University men's tennis team fell to Boston College in a very closer match, 4-3 on Wednesday, March 3 at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. The Chanticleers fell to 7-2 on the season, while the Eagles improved to a 5-6 mark.
The Chanticleers began with the No. 1 spot of juniors Matt Gordon and Peter Billingham falling to No. 21 nationally ranked Thomas Nolan and Erik Kreutzer, 8-3. In the No. 2 position, senior Ernesto Ramos and junior Alex Funkhouser tied up doubles by defeating Billy Grokenberger and Jonathan Schroeder, 8-5. The doubles pair improved 7-0 in the doubles play this season. The Chants No. 3 team of senior duo of Dmitry Vlaskin and Plamen Tzvetkov battled toe-to-toe but could not pull out a win to get the doubles point over Akash Muppidi and Adam Davison, 8-6.
Things started to look up for the Chants as they took a 2-1 lead in singles with the No. 4 spot of Tzvetkov defeating Alex Skinner 6-3, 6-3 and the No. 3 position of Vlaskin overcoming Kreutzer, 6-2, 6-3. The Eagles took back the lead with No. 1 player Nolan routing Gordon, 6-3, 6-3 and Brian Locklear defeating Billingham 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 6 spot. Junior Dorian Sovic battled after losing the first set the to beat Schroeder, 2-6, 6-4, 6-0 in the No. 5 position, tying the match up at three all. It all came down to Ramos and Muppidi in the No. 2 position in the final match. Ramos took the first set, but fell in the final two, 5-7, 7-6, 6-1.
"This match showed how crucial doubles can be in college tennis," Head Coach Chris Powers said. "I think we fought hard, but I give credit to Boston College; they are a very tough ACC opponent."
The Chanticleers will continue their play at home on Saturday, March 6 as they take on Big South-foe Liberty at 2:30 p.m.
1. NOLAN, Thomas (BC) def. Gordon, Matt (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-3
2. #76 MUPPIDI, Akash (BC) def. Ramos, Ernesto (COASTAL) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
3. Vlaskin, Dmitry (COASTAL) def. KREUTZER, Erik (BC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tzvetkov, Plamen (COASTAL) def. SKINNER, Alex (BC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Sovic, Dorian (COASTAL) def. SCHROEDER, Jonathan (BC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. LOCKLEAR, Brian (BC) def. Billingham, Peter (COASTAL) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
1. #21 NOLAN, Thomas/KREUTZER, Erik (BC) def. GORDON, Matt/BILLINGHAM, Peter (COASTAL) 8-3
2. RAMOS, Ernesto/FUNKHOUSER, Alex (COASTAL) def. GROKENBERGER, Billy/SCHROEDER, Jonathan (BC) 8-5
3. MUPPIDI, Akash/DAVISON, Adam (BC) def. VLASKIN, Dmitry/TZVETKOV, Plamen (COASTAL) 8-6
Boston College 5-6
Coastal Carolina 7-1 (2-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,1,6,5,2)