Coastal Falls at #17 Duke
Feb. 27, 2014
Durham, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team lost an 11-0 match at #17 Duke on Thursday afternoon at the Ambler Tennis Stadium. The contest’s format consisted of four doubles and seven singles matches played to a best-of-11 point decision.
The Chanticleers drop to 6-4 with the loss while the Blue Devils move to a 6-3 record.
The Blue Devils swept all four doubles matches, but Coastal’s top pair of Philippe Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides gave the #33-ranked doubles pair of Michael Redlicki and Jason Tahir reason to sweat. The Chanticleer duo battled the nationally ranked Duke pair to a tight 8-7 (7-5) tiebreaker.
Duke’s No. 2 doubles pair of Fred Saba and Raphael Hemmeler blanked Ted Nilsson and Jabor Al-Mutawa 8-0 and Coastal’s Garik Yedigarian and Renan Samed lost an 8-6 match at No. 3 to Cale Hammond and Daniel McCall.
Duke went on to take the remaining seven singles points.
At No. 1 singles, Tsangaridis was again on the verge of delivering an upset but the #67 ranked junior fell to Redlicki, the #37 ranked singles player, 6-4, 6-4.
Three other Chanticleers were matched against nationally ranked opponents as well. Yedigarian fell at No. 2 to #40 Tahir, Nilsson lost a straight-sets match at No. 3 to #58 Saba and Christofides was outmatched at No. 4 against #94 Semenzato.
Al-Mutawa, Whalen and Samed also fell in singles, each losing their respective matches in straight sets.
The Chants now have over a week’s rest before returning to action against James Madison on March 9, for a 10 a.m. match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
#17 Duke 10, Coastal Carolina 0
1. #37 Michael Redlicki (DU) def. #67 Philippe Tsangaridis (CCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #40 Jason Tahir (DU) def. Garik Yedigarian (CCU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #58 Fred Saba (DU) def. Ted Nilsson (CCU) 6-2, 6-4
4. #94 Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. Leo Christofides (CCU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Jabor Al-Mutawa (CCU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Josh Levine (DU) def. Hunter Whalen (CCU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
7. TJ Pura (DU) def. Renan Samed (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
1. #33 Michael Redlicki/Jason Tahir (DU) def. Philippe Tsangaridis/Leo Christofides (CCU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Fred Saba/Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Ted Nilsson/Jabor Al-Mutawa (CCU) 8-0
3. Cale Hammond/Daniel McCall (DU) def. Garik Yedigarian/Renan Samed (CCU) 8-6
4. TJ Pura/Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. Rick Timmerman/Stefan Jakubov (CCU) 8-2
Coastal Carolina 6-4
Duke 6-3; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (7,5,1,2,4,3,6)
4 doubles and 7 singles matches played for best of 11-point match