Feb. 23, 2014
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team recorded its second shutout win of the season on Sunday afternoon, taking a 4-0 victory of Richmond at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. The win extends the Chanticleers (6-3) win streak to three matches.
Coastal took the match’s first tally, claiming the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 1 and 2 doubles positions.
The Chants’ top pairing of Philippe Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides grabbed an 8-3 win over Ethan Dunbar and Jacob Dunbar of Richmond, while Ted Nilsson and Jabor Al-Mutawa clinched the doubles point with a 8-4 win at No. 2 over Alex Hahn and Canyon Teague.
Hunter Whalen put the Chants up 2-0 after taking the first singles point, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 6 over Noah Fenton. Nilssson extended the lead to three with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 3 and Al-Mutawa clinched the match for Coastal with a 6-4, 7-6 win at No. 5 over Teague.
The remaining singles matches went unfinished with each match in the third set.
“I thought we did a great job getting things going with our intensity in doubles,” said Chanticleer coach Chris Powers. “Singles tightened up there at the end but Jabor stepped up and clinched the match at a good time. Now we can turn our attention to #15 Duke on Thursday.”
The Chanticleers’ match against the nationally ranked Blue Devils is set for Feb. 27, at 2:30 p.m. in Durham, N.C.
Coastal Carolina 4, Richmond 0
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) vs. Ethan Dunbar (RICH) 6-3, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
2. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) vs. Jacob Dunbar (RICH) 6-4, 4-6, 4-1, unfinished
3. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. Dylan Trent (RICH) 6-4, 6-2
4. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) vs. Alex Hahn (RICH) 6-4, 6-7, 3-2, unfinished
5. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Canyon Teague (RICH) 6-4, 7-6
6. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) def. Noah Fenton (RICH) 6-1, 6-4
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) def. Ethan Dunbar/Jacob Dunbar (RICH) 8-3
2. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (RICH) 8-4
3. YEDIGARIAN, Garik/SAMED, Renan (COASTAL) vs. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (RICH) 7-4, unfinished
Coastal Carolina 5-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,3,5)