Coastal's Singles Power Past Appalachian State
Feb. 21, 2014
CONWAY - After an hour delay due to wet court conditions, the Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team won its fifth match of the season on Friday morning, downing Appalachian State 4-2 at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. Due to impending rain, play began with singles and the doubles point went uncontested.
The Chanticleers now hold a 5-3 record while the Mountaineers fall to 2-2.
Coastal took an early 2-0 lead thanks to straight-set wins at Nos. 4 and 1 by Leo Christofides and Phillippe Tsangaridis, respectively. Christofides edged Zach Bost in the first set, 6-4, followed by a commanding 6-0 second set. Tsangaridis won both sets 6-2 over Sebastien King.
Oliver Casey cut the Chants’ lead in half at No. 2, downing Ted Nilsson 6-3, 6-2, but the Chanticleers took the following two singles points to clinch the match.
Matt Saltsgaver gave Appalachian State its final point, taking the No. 6 position 7-6, 6-1 over Hunter Whalen.
“I am happy we were able to get the match played this morning,” commented coach Chris Powers after the win. “The guys showed up ready to compete and we did a nice job clinching the point in singles.”
The Chants have a day’s rest before squaring off against Richmond on Sunday; the match time is set for 1 p.m. at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
Coastal Carolina 4, Appalachian State 2
1. #109 TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) def. Sebastien King (APPM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Oliver Casey (APPM) def. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-2
3. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. Daniel Hoang (APPM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. Zach Bost (APPM) 6-4, 6-0
5. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Jack Maddocks (APPM) 6-3, 7-5
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APPM) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 7-6, 6-1
1. CHRISTOFIDES, Leo/TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) vs. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APPM) unfinished
2. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) vs. Oliver Casey/Daniel Hoang (APPM) unfinished
3. SAMED, Renan/YEDIGARIAN, Garik (COASTAL) vs. Steve Lake/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APPM) unfinished
Appalachian State 2-2
Coastal Carolina 5-3
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,1,2,5,3,6)